Spanish ribbed newt off his food

jag93

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

We have a 10-year-old Spanish ribbed newt that has gone off his food. He has always had a very healthy diet, normally eating every 2-4 days (a varied diet of chopped raw fish and invertebrates), but he has not eaten a thing now for 3 weeks. We adopted him just over a year ago, and have never encountered this before. He looks fine otherwise (no sores or marks on his skin, he's still moving around the tank, and isn't obviously loosing weight), but he just won't eat. I've read in a couple of older posts that some newts can enter occasional periods of pause or "hibernation" where they become less active and lose interest in food, but I've not come across this on any of the care sheets that I've looked at. Has anyone encountered this before? And will it likely pass? Hopefully this isn't a sign that he's nearing the end of his life, as we're all quite attached to him. Any advice on what we could do is very welcome. Thanks!

IMG_0583.jpeg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back