Species Mixed

23matt3

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I was given two newts about 3 years ago.. I assumed they were Cynops orientalis, but not until recently have I started to get more info about Newts and in that time they started to look a bit different than the others and I believe that they are cynops cyanurus. Again like I said before I have had them for about three years and I haven't noticed any aggression, in fact they get along great and they are all relatively the same size.. Is there any problems in general with these species being in the same tank?

So I was given two newts about 3 years ago.. I assumed they were Cynops orientalis, but not until recently have I started to get more info about Newts and in that time they started to look a bit different than the others and I believe that they are cynops cyanurus. Again like I said before I have had them for about three years and I haven't noticed any aggression, in fact they get along great and they are all relatively the same size.. Is there any problems in general with these species being in the same tank?

I was wondering about the pic's i thought i seen one with red down its back and tail. I have never seen that in C oriental but I'm really new to this. Might be why your not getting fertile egg? I'm pretty sure everyone will tell you to split them up just to be on the safe side.

Well, telling the two species apart is very easy, cyanurus always have a red/orange spot on each cheek, whereas orientalis do not.
Although unusual, H. orientalis can sometimes have a stripe down their backs as well as other atypical features like rough skin or mottled patterns, but never the cheek spot.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back