Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Spirulina powder for Daphnia

stanleyc

Reaction score
I've heard of people using this to feed their daphnia cultures and was wondering what it is exactly and how effective it is. Doing a search, i gathered that its some sort of human health product? I found ones that are just labeled spirulina powder, and some that are powdered algae. Which one would be the best? Are there any specific ones that would not be suitable?

What are some other alternative food source for daphnia besides green water and yeast, preferably in powder or packaged form.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Mixing spirulina powder and regular flake food has worked the best for me.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Spirulina is algae; some hippies drink it because it's good for you (guilty!). Greenwater probably has spirulina in it. I don't know if you can use spirulina to jumpstart a green water culture though. Have you read about Jenn Macke's super daphnia food?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Other foods you can feed to daphnia:
soy protein powder (sold as a human supplement, usually vitamin fortified)
paprika (the spice, good source of beta carotene)
non-fat dry milk (spoils quickly once mixed with water, so use with caution)
pureed vegetables or vegetable baby foods

The two foods I would recommend as a "staple" are soy powder and yeast. Nothing dry will be as good as green water, but these dry foods can keep them going with modest productivity.

stanleyc

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I think I will feed them a mix of spirulina powder and soy protein for now then, until I can get the green water going. After that I will probably use the powders in combination with the green water because I will most likely only have a 1 small green water culture because of limited space and time.

caleb

Reaction score
Gram flour (aka chickpea flour, or besan) is another possibility. Much cheaper and easier to find than soy protein powder.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
I tried yeast one time. The next day the culture I fed the yeast to was cloudy and dead. Needless to say I kept feeding the others flake food/algae mix. I have used collard greens juice I got from a blender. It seemed to work well but flake food was much more cost effective and I saw little difference.

stanleyc

Reaction score
I tried yeast one time. The next day the culture I fed the yeast to was cloudy and dead. Needless to say I kept feeding the others flake food/algae mix. I have used collard greens juice I got from a blender. It seemed to work well but flake food was much more cost effective and I saw little difference.

What brand or specific kind of fish flakes do you use?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1