Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Spotted salamander larvae resting upside down and washed out colour. Could this be an illness?

Madbliss

Reaction score
Hey guys! I am raising spotted salamanders. I found their eggs in a dried up puddle almost a month ago now and while i was transporting them home, some of them hatched! Now, my biggest one us about 25-30 mm long and thriving! But, recently i noticed that a few if them where a washed out pale whiteish brown yellow colour. I do not know if its from not eating, or an illness. They have been floating towards the surface of the water and sometimes rest at the bottom of the tank upside down. It is quite odd. I separated them from the others just in case. Does anyone have any idea what this could be and maybe how to cure it?

Tinagrif

Reaction score
Hey guys! I am raising spotted salamanders. I found their eggs in a dried up puddle almost a month ago now and while i was transporting them home, some of them hatched! Now, my biggest one us about 25-30 mm long and thriving! But, recently i noticed that a few if them where a washed out pale whiteish brown yellow colour. I do not know if its from not eating, or an illness. They have been floating towards the surface of the water and sometimes rest at the bottom of the tank upside down. It is quite odd. I separated them from the others just in case. Does anyone have any idea what this could be and maybe how to cure it?
What ended up happening with them? I have one doing the same thing

Madbliss

Reaction score
What ended up happening with them? I have one doing the same
They ended up sadly passing away. I was devastated. I think what ended up happening was that I noticed they had maybe a piece of their gills missing or a limb, and maybe they physically couldn’t eat or something like that for a few days and then it just turned into an eating thing where they starved to death. I put so much pond water, bloodworms and mosquito larvae but they still would not eat. Did yours have bitten off limbs or anything?

Tinagrif

Reaction score
Oh no I am so sorry to hear that :( I did a complete water change on mine and they seemed to to get better but they all morphed not long after and I don’t think some of them were ready yet because they were so tiny and still 2 weeks later have no markings. Once they started coming out of the water the ones that were still in there did better. I had 7 to start in a 30 gallon tank. 1 if them disappeared and 5 of them have now morphed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!