Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Spotted salamander won't eat

Jennifer.owens

Reaction score
Hello all! I am needing some help. We found a spotted salamander on Saturday and I have yet to see it eat. Initially I tried crickets, which now I realize were too big. So I tried mealworms and he did not eat those. Today I bought the tiny crickets and so far nothing. I tried putting him in a different container with the food and nothing. I've dangling it in front of him, placed it in front of him and he just turns the other way and takes for cover to hide. He basically stays hidden under the moss. I've read things about stress and etc but at what point do I need to worry? I just don't want him to die! Any suggestions??

Noodlethenewt

Reaction score
Wild caught adults of spotted don’t seem to adjust to captivity very well. A picture of the salamander/ cage would be helpful. Red wiggles and night crawlers usually do the trick

Jennifer.owens

Reaction score
View attachment 85838This is the best I have right now on my phone. I can get a better one later. It is black with yellow spots.

Attachments

• 4206F45A-BDE8-42DF-938F-81E998531620.jpeg
    4206F45A-BDE8-42DF-938F-81E998531620.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 266

Noodlethenewt

Reaction score
That looks pretty dry I think it could use some more water in the substrate, make sure to use a water conditioner

Jennifer.owens

Reaction score
Okay I will try that. We did buy some drops for the water. He was burrowed pretty deep in the dirt when I went to check on him earlier. Still hasn't eaten 😔

Jennifer.owens

Reaction score
That was one of the first pictures I took. Since then I had added more water and misted daily. I would say the substrate is moist now. The moss definitely is, which is where he's hiding now

JaceW/Lifer-Log

Reaction score
They take time to adjust to captivity, especially when you collect them as adults. They usually eat when they really need to, try non-cut red wigglers. They often work well for sals, but they cannot be cut, or else they are unpalatable. and as I responded in another post. WET THAT TANK, you should be able to squeeze the dirt together and it will stay clumped when you let go. They absorb water from their skin and can dry up if they have a dry environment, and that is much worse than no food. good luck

Noodlethenewt

Reaction score
They take time to adjust to captivity, especially when you collect them as adults. They usually eat when they really need to, try non-cut red wigglers. They often work well for sals, but they cannot be cut, or else they are unpalatable. and as I responded in another post. WET THAT TANK, you should be able to squeeze the dirt together and it will stay clumped when you let go. They absorb water from their skin and can dry up if they have a dry environment, and that is much worse than no food. good luck
lol I’ve been feeding mine cut wrigglers for almost six months now poor guys prolly hate me for that.

Noodlethenewt

Reaction score
That might be best... it’s always hit or miss with wc animals especially because it’s illegal to purchase native species. I’d recommend catching as a larvae and raising it up they usually do the best and are more active that way

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!