Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Spray Bar Filter - yes or no?

K

kirsten

Hi all
happy.gif

Since getting my larger tank I have noticed a decline in water quality, and I have had trouble keeping it clean. I was assured by the pet shop guy that the filter I had was still suitable for a larger tank but now I'm not so sure.

Anyway I was looking at some new filters and I noticed that some have spray bars. Is this generally a better option to go for? (I noticed the Axolotl tank example on axolotl.caudata.org uses a spray bar)

Also, should I be looking at how many litres the filter does per hour, or just how many litres the filter is supposed to be suitable for?

Sorry for such "newbie" questions but I'd rather sound stupid now then be regretting it with sick Axos later down the track.

J

jenny

i dunno bout what filter to get but i got one thats really good! and it has a spray bar on it if you mean one that shoots water out and i think you can use this instead of getting an air stone. although from reading other ppls posts about how their axys play wi the air stones im gonna get one. i opened up my filter the other day and it was well dirty and there were strands of my hair in it!! (i have no lid for my tank i havent found a pet shop that sells em for this size yet unless i buy one with a light for fifty quid which i dont want.

L

leighton

We have spray bars on our 24" tanks, with Fluval 2 filters, and our axolotls seem to get on OK with them. We chose our filters based on the tank volume.

And they're not stupid questions - adequate filtration without excessive water flow was a big worry for us when we started out.

K

kirsten

Thanks for the responses. I bought a new filter, an external one this time, with a spray bar. I have the bar turned against the wall of the tank. They seem to be fine with it.
happy.gif

A

andre

From what I read on various pages on the subject, the water should go through the filter at around 1 - 1 1/2 time/hour ... whatever the water quantity is.

So if you have 150 liters of water, your filter should be pumping around 150-200 L./hour.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!