spray foam hides?

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
ren
hi everyone,
two days ago i picked up some spray foam (great stuff gaps and cracks, to be specific) and the next day decided to go outside and spray it over a red solo cup, making a hide shape. it was an egregious decision to spray directly onto concrete, as it stuck horribly and i have to go figure out how to scrape off the remnants. anyways, it dried, and today i retrieved it and carved a bit, then sprayed a bit more and am currently letting it dry. because i'm not 100% sure of the waterproofness of this particular kind of great stuff, i plan on making it into a hide for my little brother's leopard gecko, as his birthday is coming up. if this goes well, i plan on getting some pond foam and making a few for my mudkip. i wanted to ask how well sillicone + sand would work to both color and seal the hide, and whether or not quikrete would be recommended. sorry that this is kinda rough in format, but i'm sick at the moment. i'll add pictures when i start feeling better and get around to it.
thank you :)

if you are going to make a hide then spray foam isn't a very good material as it holds air very well and floats.

hi everyone,
two days ago i picked up some spray foam (great stuff gaps and cracks, to be specific) and the next day decided to go outside and spray it over a red solo cup, making a hide shape. it was an egregious decision to spray directly onto concrete, as it stuck horribly and i have to go figure out how to scrape off the remnants. anyways, it dried, and today i retrieved it and carved a bit, then sprayed a bit more and am currently letting it dry. because i'm not 100% sure of the waterproofness of this particular kind of great stuff, i plan on making it into a hide for my little brother's leopard gecko, as his birthday is coming up. if this goes well, i plan on getting some pond foam and making a few for my mudkip. i wanted to ask how well sillicone + sand would work to both color and seal the hide, and whether or not quikrete would be recommended. sorry that this is kinda rough in format, but i'm sick at the moment. i'll add pictures when i start feeling better and get around to it.
thank you :)
Spray foam for ponds works well for terrestrial hides and its waterproof, unlike the yellow stuff for filling gaps, cracks. If used I'd give it at least a few days to off gas and cure fully. Also, I wouldn't spray it too thick it may not fully cure if too thick.

Spray foam for ponds works well for terrestrial hides and its waterproof, unlike the yellow stuff for filling gaps, cracks. If used I'd give it at least a few days to off gas and cure fully. Also, I wouldn't spray it too thick it may not fully cure if too thick.
i'd definitely seal it before using it in any animal's enclosure, and the normal spray foam seems to cure fully, but i'm doing it in layers anyways

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back