Spring peeper, broken leg. Help needed!

I decided to amputate the limb. I was so nervous. All these things were going through my head... I was insanely concerned about all the things that could go wrong. Worst of all, The scissors didn't cut straight through and had to snip a few times to get off the last bits it was hanging by. I think the leg was dislocated actually as I don't believe I cut through bone. I had to close my eyes while I snipped which now that I think about it, was not a good idea... But everything worked out fine as of now... All there's left to do is hope... He seems fine as of now but I'll keep you updated and post pics if he pulls through.

Peepers love to squeeze into tight spots alog the top of the lid. You lift the lid on a ankle and you catch their legs. I no of many of frog killed that way. Glad your operation went well. He should have a good outlook. You may have to change his name to stumpy now. :happy:

Yeah, I've seen them in the corners of the lid :p I really don't think that's what happened though. I sit there with the lid open for like... 10 minutes before they even realize its off while I put food in and start hopping like a mad man. It could be what happened but I think I would have noticed right then. Thank you though :D I hope he turns out well. He is actually the only one without a name so far. One is Ninja (the first one I found) the second one we found was Squirt. Then we found Tiger (the third one) and Namelss-Frog in the woods while looking for ponds in the woods. The first too, we rescued from this:

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/...6712699_100000096922986_1127525_6604484_n.jpg

We unfortunately over the summer, found many perished in the dirt that we never saw. But now that we are aware that they like that place, we'll be inspecting quite frequently. The Frisbee was a precautionary measure so they would fry... The sand got in the suction cups so they we trapped to slowly die x_x So, we kept the first two to re-rehabilitate them, and they have since then really grown on me. Its funny, this is actually the first year I've seen them and I've seen tons XD

He's doing better. The stump seems to have healed a little. Still lots of blood flow to the spot though so its very red. I'm applying neosporin daily to stave off any possible infection from setting in.

He seems to be doing better :) He hasn't eaten in a couple of days but I figure he may just not be hungry since he ate a Pill-bug the other day and I haven't found his... leavings... So he may not have finished digesting that yet. I'm waiting a while before introducing him back to his tank with his friends. It makes me wonder if they are wondering where he is and how he's doing. He is more active now and crawls around a lot more. The wound seems fine as well. :) I'm glad things are working out well for him so far. Hopefully things will keep going that way.

He's eaten 3 small pill-bugs since my last post and made some 'leavings' while i was feeding the other 3 peepers, my toad, and salamanders :) so luckily, his spirits seem to be high. I mean, if he was sick or had infection, he'd be discouraged about eating anything, right?

It could have been the toad that broke his foot trying to eat him and not it getting caught in the lid like I suspected.

Just letting everyone know that the little angel passed away today. He lived much longer than I expected. I'm glad he was able to survive so long. Rest in peace my little dear.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back