Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Stainless steel mesh

Chef_axol

Reaction score
I have a 30 gallon tank and have had great success with under gravel filters, so I was wondering if it’s safe to use one and put a mesh on top so the Axolotls feet won’t get stuck or poison them some how

Creekratt

Reaction score
Just a heads up. Some stainless, may not actually be stainless. Case in point, look at some of the cheaper flatware. It may have stainless stamped directly in the utensil. Rest assured I've seen some of these cheaper ones actually rust. Not sure if it was clad in stainless or there's barely any nickel or chromium in it. I'd do a little experiment with a small piece of said screen. You could place it directly in some water for a while to see if it actually does rust or not. Another point, if you cut screen to size the edges will have a very jagged edge, with tiny wires sticking out. These will more than likely stab your little friend and possibly cause some injury and even an infection. I'd just avoid it and use a piece of filter foam instead. I'd even avoid fiberglass screen as it does rot over time especially in wet enviroments.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1