Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Status of the Salamander Hobby?

Tinc Tank

Reaction score
New member here! I have not necessarily been a part of the newt and salamander hobby per se, but I did spend a significant portion of my childhood admiring them and searching for them in the woods. Currently I am dart frog keeper with a significant collection in my care. But I have always wanted salamanders and particularly the Salamandra ssp. And therein lies my problem. I remember several years ago all the foreign species were banned from importation into the country, so whatever we have now is what we will ever have. So my question(s) is how vast is the hobby? Is the hobby still hurting from these regulations? And are the foreign species too rare at this point to last very long?

I am hoping some of the older salamander keepers can chime in and inform me on their thoughts about the current status of the salamander hobby. I will appreciate any of your thoughts!

Last edited:

JM29

Reaction score
You are asking the great, right question.
In Europe, we have practically the same concerns, and the answer can be very different depending on the species.

YGDS

Reaction score
Here in Canada, we've got real issues, but the legislation in place banning importation is actually quite sensible given the massive dangers Bsal poses to native species. I've only had my finger on the pulse of this for a few months, but you are in a much more favourable position depending on your State laws, than many other places, simply by virtue of being in the US. While there are rumours and whispers on the wind that will likely end the hobby for good in the near future (a blatant warning posted here in the forum, if you're stateside, do your part to prevent this), for the present, you shouldn't have too much of an issue acquiring a few species stateside.

Last edited:

Thanassi07

Reaction score
I got into the hobby recently after the ban soI don't have much reference before, but the hobby is still most certainly active though most species are hard if not virtually impossible to obtain.

Tinc Tank

Reaction score
I got into the hobby recently after the ban soI don't have much reference before, but the hobby is still most certainly active though most species are hard if not virtually impossible to obtain.
That is what it is looking like to me too. Like I know of literally only one guy breeding fire salamanders.

Thanassi07

Reaction score
That is what it is looking like to me too. Like I know of literally only one guy breeding fire salamanders.
I know what you mean, I know like 5-6 fire sal breeders. I'm more interested in US native species like Aneides, Eurycea, Plethodon, Desmogs, etc. than European/Asian Newts and Fire salamanders that everyone is concerned with.

Tinc Tank

Reaction score
I know what you mean, I know like 5-6 fire sal breeders. I'm more interested in US native species like Aneides, Eurycea, Plethodon, Desmogs, etc. than European/Asian Newts and Fire salamanders that everyone is concerned with.
I am interested in more breeders. I would appreciate if maybe you could share some with me via PM or maybe any Facebook groups they may be hanging around in.

But yeah, the US native species seem rare to find captive bred, probably because of their seasonal temperature requirements.

Thanassi07

Reaction score
I am interested in more breeders. I would appreciate if maybe you could share some with me via PM or maybe any Facebook groups they may be hanging around in.

But yeah, the US native species seem rare to find captive bred, probably because of their seasonal temperature requirements.
Actually, it's due to many restrictions as well as many people are against wild collecting native species. You can shoot me a message on FB (My name Thanassi Karasoulos, same profile pic as the one I use for Caudata).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!