STORYTIME: DISGUSTING TANK

Wrayne

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So story time...
I've been search for axolotls to buy on kijiji, everything's normal right just looking around...

And then this morning I was looking.. And the first thing that pops up was this horrid, disgusting tank. That definitely not suitable for 4 axolotls.

I found this šŸ¤¢ ... I can't believe some people

Attachments

• 20210601_094425.png
    20210601_094425.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 180
  • 20210601_094405.png
    20210601_094405.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 114
  • 20210601_094255.png
    20210601_094255.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 119
Are u gonna buy them? they need a better home

you still should get one. give it a good home.

that's terrible. i hate that kind of human.

Do you have any friends that could responsibly keep one of the others?

aw, that's too bad. I really want one but i don't have anywhere to keep it and I'm in the US

its gonna die if its kept in that condition for much longer.

Dang, I feel horrible for not taking action. I don't want to stress the axolotl over a 2 hour drive either :(
Axolotls can definitely handle a drive that long. Obviously it's not ideal, but they'll be fine (mine easily handles a 3 hour drive about 6 times a year).

A quick guide to what has worked for me:

Ideally, you can transport them in a preferably opaque (though not necessary) container that must be water tight and should have enough room for one to stretch out fully. They should be one per container. I personally use rubbermaid containers that are scrubbed and rinsed well (NO SOAP) beforehand. Use blankets/towels to insulate (in terms of temperature and light) the containers and keep them from moving around. Put the air conditioning on full blast (wear a sweatshirt and gloves) and stop every hour or so to take the lids off and get some fresh air in there. Do not feed them for a couple days before transport; feed them once you arrive and have everything set up.

UPDATE!!
I found someone closer to the little babes! And she's willing to rescue! I am so relieved! šŸ˜Œ

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if youā€™re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isnā€™t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back