Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Stowaway

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
I recently picked up a pre seeded sponge filter because my axolotl tank was taking forever to cycle. I go upstairs to check water parameters, and there’s this little snail on the glass. I guess he tagged along? I took it out and put it in a Tupperware with tank water. My lotl has not in her tank since before I got the sponge filter, so if it’s anything harmful my lotl is tubbed. I thought maybe Nerite, but any thoughts? Is it harmful to my lotl? Is he okay to be put back in the tank?

Attachments

• 67560C44-54FF-4392-91C1-34A03447B4E4.jpeg
    67560C44-54FF-4392-91C1-34A03447B4E4.jpeg
    945.3 KB · Views: 202
  • 007246EA-11D1-428A-9087-A9F7676B0CA6.jpeg
    007246EA-11D1-428A-9087-A9F7676B0CA6.jpeg
    1,003.4 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

Murk

Reaction score
Looks like an ordinary pond snail.
As far as I know "pond snail" is an umbrella term for several species - I have no clue which this would be, but I think all pond snails are quite similar.

They are harmless - you can put it back in the tank, but you will never get rid of it ever again. They breed very fast and are utterly indestructible.
It's very common for them (or their eggs) to come with store-bought plants, animals or substrates.

Some people really hate them, because once they're established it's very hard to get them out. If you want a clean-looking, axolotl-only tank, keep the snail out and hope it was somehow they only one.

If you don't mind a few dozen snails minding their own business you can put her back and be friends with her. They eat algae and gunk, so I really like them.

If you have a lot of gunk and enough calcium for their shells, they can grow to decent sizes. The biggest I've ever seen was the size of a pinky nail, but that's very rare (at least for me). I have seen the axolotls eat the bigger ones once or twice. They generally ignore the snails since they're too small and slow to be spotted.
Technically, this could be a risk to the axolotl, because if they eat the snail they will also swallow the shell - if you have really bad luck this could lead to impaction.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Calgarycoppers. You're fast!

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
Looks like an ordinary pond snail.
As far as I know "pond snail" is an umbrella term for several species - I have no clue which this would be, but I think all pond snails are quite similar.

They are harmless - you can put it back in the tank, but you will never get rid of it ever again. They breed very fast and are utterly indestructible.
It's very common for them (or their eggs) to come with store-bought plants, animals or substrates.

Some people really hate them, because once they're established it's very hard to get them out. If you want a clean-looking, axolotl-only tank, keep the snail out and hope it was somehow they only one.

If you don't mind a few dozen snails minding their own business you can put her back and be friends with her. They eat algae and gunk, so I really like them.

If you have a lot of gunk and enough calcium for their shells, they can grow to decent sizes. The biggest I've ever seen was the size of a pinky nail, but that's very rare (at least for me). I have seen the axolotls eat the bigger ones once or twice. They generally ignore the snails since they're too small and slow to be spotted.
Technically, this could be a risk to the axolotl, because if they eat the snail they will also swallow the shell - if you have really bad luck this could lead to impaction.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Calgarycoppers. You're fast!
Okay thanks! The biggest one out of the 2 is a little bigger than her pellets, and I love a clean up crew. I might use the lettuce technique to keep their population down a bit, if they start multiplying. I would never turn down a clean up crew if it’s safe. If there is a very very low risk of impaction, I have repashy gel food to get things moving if it is the case. My girl only goes after things that squirm like night crawlers, so I doubt she would care. I think I’ll put them in, because i would assume there’s already some in I can’t see. I’ve watched a couple YouTube videos and a lot of people say they like them, and use the lettuce technique to keep the population down. I think I will try it in a half gallon tank I have, just to see how fast they populate

Murk

Reaction score
I do feel required to say that it will never be absolutely safe.
I personally never had any problems with pond snails, but in the end there is still risk involved.

As long as you're aware of that, a cautious approach as you are planning seems sensible.

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
I do feel required to say that it will never be absolutely safe.
I personally never had any problems with pond snails, but in the end there is still risk involved.

As long as you're aware of that, a cautious approach as you are planning seems sensible.
I agree. They are actually kinda cute, so I felt bad killing them. They are now in a 1 1/2 gallon tank, that’s meant for bettas that my aunt got me, but’s obviously not suitable, and I haven’t found any use for it, except when I was 9 or 10, I put a couple of bettas in it over the course of a year. Obviously I know better then that now. I sucked up some detritus off the bottom of the tank, and put it in their tank. Now we wait for more snails I guess😂

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!