Strange abscess-like protrusion on Notophthalmus viridescens

CrocodileDundee

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone,
I keep a array of different herp species for educational outreach programs at my university. One of these is a breeding pair of Notophthalmus viridescens that I raised from eggs gathered during a zoology field trip in 2018. The eggs were found in Greene Co. AL if that info is relevant. I kept a male and female from the larvae that hatched and released the rest when they got older, and those two have been living happily in an aquarium ever since. Over the last year or so, the male has developed these protrusions on his shoulder and chest (pic provided). They don’t impede his movement or behavior at all (he feeds normally and successfully bred the female this year and has eggs on the way right now).
If anyone knows more about what this could be, let me know. It’s most likely not diet related, because the female has been raised on the exact same diet as the male since day one.
They eat a diet of Omega One Newt and Salamander pellets and the occasional bloodworm packet or mealworm. They live in an aquatic set up 5 gallon aquarium with an internal mechanical filter (temporarily removed and replaced with an air stone for the eggs’ safety).
04205D90-97C9-477C-B247-6E8DDC24D300.jpeg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back