Illness/Sickness: Strange behavior in Cynops Cyanurus

Autumncrossing

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi guys,
I've noticed some strange behavior in my cynops cyanurus. Let me begin by telling you their current conditions. I have 6 adults housed in a 20 gallon with lots of live anubias, as well as some hair grass and a dock area. I feed them night crawlers cut up into small pieces and occasionally blood worms. I've had some of these newts for 2 years others for a year now I believe. The tank was cycled from the get go and my current water perimeters of ammonia 0 ppm, nitrite 0 ppm, and nitrates 20 ppm.
ONTO THE PROBLEM...
The other day I noticed one of my newts spazzing out, acting like he had very bad itch on his back and flipped around. Since then I've noticed this in two others newts, they start scratching and act like there is something touching them. It is not shedding. Tonight one of the cherry shrimp in their tank died, he was very young so i'm not sure what could have caused his death... The newts are all eating fantastically and appear very lively, the one male even has a bright blue tail right now and is trying to mate.
Any help is appreciated,
Thanks- Heidi

My Cynops do the scratching with the back leg thing from time to time, usually when they are about to shed, but not always. I'm not sure about the flipping over though. It sounds like something is irritating them.
I think I would do a 20% water change every couple of days for a while and see if that improved things.

I thought it might be shedding too but it was simultaneously between three or four different newts around the same time and no one shed. It just looked very off... And the shrimp dying for no reason has me worried. I did a 40% water change last night hopefully things improve..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know, maybe a trip to the vets would be best. You can take a skin scrape yourself and look at it under a microscope if you have one, but if it is parasites I wouldn't know how to treat amphibians for them

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back