Strange cycling

Maggie.D

Reaction score
Country
United States
My axolotl tank prior to use was ‘cycled’ with aquavitro seed, which I now think doesn’t work. The ammonia in my tank is severely high. I’ve had an in-tank axolotl for three months. I use Seachem Prime daily and perform regular (weekly-biweekly) water changes. Based on what I know about cycling, shouldn’t the tank have cycled by now after three months? Or is the excessive ammonia produced by the axolotl inhibiting it?

what type and size of filter are you using?
was the tank cycled by also adding a source of ammonia as well as bottled bacteria, if so what level?
other than filter what else is in the tank?

what type and size of filter are you using?
was the tank cycled by also adding a source of ammonia as well as bottled bacteria, if so what level?
other than filter what else is in the tank?
I’m using two sets of sponge filters, one single one double. It was not cycled by adding a source of ammonia (I did not know the bottled bacteria wasn’t going to work). In the tank I have mesh bags of crushed coral (for my pH which is also screwy), an aquarium-safe hide for him, sand, six large stones, and an air stone.

bottled bacteria will help speed up a cycle by adding bacteria but the bacteria have to then colonise the filtration as well as grow the colony large enough to be able to remove ammonia/nitrites.
unlike a fish aquarium which can be cycled at 1-2ppm ammonium an axolotl requires it to be cycled at 4ppm due to the high levels of waste produced by an adult.
unfortunately cycling an axolotl tank can also take quite a while.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back