Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Strange lump

Saturn

Reaction score
One of our axies has had lump for about 4 months now, it started out as a small, red patch but is now a sizeable, raised patch of bumps. Our PH was sitting around 6.8 so thought that might the culprit, been adding bicarb at water changes to raise it and it now sits around 7.2. GH & KH were also low, both around 3 so raised those, both are now around 8 and have been since mid January. The photos were taken at the beginning of Feb and I think I've seen a small improvement since then. We've had some tiny (1-3mm) creatures on the glass, could they be the cause and does anyone know what they are? I've been crushing them daily and they make a crunch. Our other axolotl hasn't had any issues. Here are the parameters from the last water change and is the norm for the tank: 12 Feb, PH 7.2, GH 8, KH 8-9, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 15, Temp 19C.

Would also appreciate a gender check on the leucistic. Can take more photos if need be, any help much appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• 20210203_004810.jpg
    20210203_004810.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 267
  • 20210121_215931.jpg
    20210121_215931.jpg
    560 KB · Views: 93
  • 20210121_215533.jpg
    20210121_215533.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 101
Last edited:

Murk

Reaction score
It's not something I'm familiar with.
I guess it could be bacterial (like a swollen infection), but I'm guessing it's more tumor-like in origin.
If you can, might want to discuss it with a vet.

I very much doubt it's caused by any water issues, since your parameters are close to perfect and the axolotls look otherwise healthy.

The creatures on the glass are freshwater limpets, a common hitchhiker on rocks and plants from aquarium stores. They're completely harmless and won't get very big. A sudden population explosion can be a sign that you need to clean left-over food and poop more, but you'll probably always have a few around from now on. They're very difficult to get rid of (but also harmless, so maybe not worth the effort).

Gender check depends on the age. If the leucistic is more than 1.5 years old, it's definitely a female. If less, could still be a late-blooming male.

Saturn

Reaction score
Thanks so much Murk, you were a great help to me once before as well. Am overdue taking her to the vet but certainly will.

Thoughts on it possibly being fungal? I've let the tank get to 22C at times but no higher. She did develop typical, fluffy fungus on a gill that went away when the temp came back down but I've never seen a fungus like this before on an axolotl.

Glad to finally know what they are. The limpets did indeed appear after bringing home anubis.

Not sure on age but feel she's just reached full length, so maybe a year old? Definately more elongated than my other girl who is older and plumper. I too think the genitalia is still within reason for female but guess we'll see if it gets any bigger.

Murk

Reaction score
I would be very surprised if it's fungal, but I'm not a vet and my experience with disease is limited.

For treatment or medication I really do not know enough, I'm afraid.
The search function of the forums leads to a few possibly similar cases, but nothing conclusive that I can find.

Saturn

Reaction score
All good, you were a great help. When I do take her to the vet I'll post the results, incase anyone has a similar issue

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!