Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Strange worm thingy in the water...

S

sharon

I saw a fiber thin "thing" jigging through the water. A closer look, it looked like some kind of worm, "swimming" sort of vertically through the water.

I know it came from some live pond plants.

I fished the first one I saw out. I saw a second one and was trying to fish it out of the water, when it just happened to swim in front of a waiting axos' mouth. SNAP, no more worm thingy. The axo snapped its mouth open and shut a couple of times before settling back to the bottom of the tank.

I did salt soak and rinse these plants before adding them to the tanks, so what was that thing? Since the axo ate it and seems fine, I'm thinking its harmless, but what you guys think?

Sharon

S

sharon

Smart <font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font>! LMBO! You are funny!

colin

Reaction score
Planarian worm? They are harmless in a tank... especiall when axos eat them
happy.gif

caleb

Reaction score
It sounds like a nematode to me, they have that distinctive 'thrashing' movement.

Some nematodes are predatory, and a few are parasitic on amphibians. The vast majority are unlikely to be a problem.

I often find them in my tanks, I haven't noticed any ill effects from them.

The best way to avoid introducing parasites to captive amphibians is not to use water/ plants/ livefood from ponds where amphibians live.

M

mik

Newish tanks sometimes get a sudden appearance of these things. They seem to disappear just as quickly.

Don't know where they come from don't care where they go just as long as they do.

Mikki

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1