Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Stress Coat+ for Axolotl Slime Coat

KirbyandMudkip11

Reaction score
Hey! I noticed my axolotls slime coat was shedding or something yesterday and I was wondering if anyone knows if API stress coat+ is okay for axolotls.
Thanks!!

wolfen

Reaction score
because api stress coat contains aloe vera it is unsuitable for use with axolotls.

wolfen

Reaction score
Can I ask why? because I read that api stress coat can be used to amphibians.
aloe vera is toxic to axolotls, because axolotls breath using their gill filaments and skin to absorb oxygen in water any type of fish stress coat can inhibit this action.
because aloe vera and axolotls hasn't been researched there are no papers regarding issues, there have on the other hand been cases in the pet trade/husbandry of issues that have been attributed to the use of aloe vera such as lethargy, stress, gasping and general signs of unwell, this is not to say that all axolotls are sensitive to aloe vera as there are also cases of axolotls having no ill effect from exposure.
this forum is perfect for researching peoples experiences with aloe vera although you may have to go quite for back to get to the area of time when it was used rather than just being informed not to use.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1