Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Substrate for 7cm to 10 cm axies

S

stacy

Hi everyone. My young ones are now 8 1/2 weeks old. They are between 7cm and 10 cm. I have them in 2 tanks. 2 foot for the larger 8 and 4 foot by 18 for the other 32. What can I use for a substrate for them. They sit down in the crevices of the large pebbles. They are all albino so they blend too well with the white sand. oohhh I really need some help. Has anyone any ideas?

J

joan

Don't use substrate while they're that little. IT's a lot easier to keep clean without a substrate. Wait until they're bigger.

Btw, you're keeping WAY too many axolotls in the 4 foot tank. If each of them are 7 cm, that's almost 90 inches of animal in a 48 inch tank.

Go to the store and get a few rubbermaid plastic storage bins. They're fairly cheap, and make great tanks.

S

stacy

Thanks for that Joan. It looks as if there is a lot of room in the 4 foot tank. I have got a spare 3 foot and another spare 2 foot tank. Do you think that this will be enough space. Also for my 2 adult axies is silica sand ok.

J

joan

I'd definately split them up. They'll be less stressed, and keeping water quality up would be much easier on you.

I don't know about silica sand though. Wait for one of the more knowlegable to chime in.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!