Substrate from Menards/ Home Depot?

Ehhz

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi guys!

I have had my two adult axies for almost a year now. They have been in a 40 gal breeder but we recently bought our first house and I had more space so I just purchased a 75 gallon! I was so excited to find a larger tank that was still longer instead of tall. Since I will be moving them I wanted to take the time to remodel. I love the natural look so I was wanting to add sand as a substrate along with low light plants and some wood (if I can find some nice large pieces without sharp ends).

I'm having a really hard time deciding on what sand to use. I'd rather not spend the money on real aquarium sand since I need it for 75 gallons. I've read a lot about pool filter sand and play sand. Since my previous tank was bare bottom (I was preparing for babies but fell in love with the two adults I adopted), I'm a littler nervous to use the wrong thing. How do I make sure the sand will be axie safe? We feed our boys worms via long tongs so I'm not too concerned about them inhaling much sand when eating, but we're going to try adding in a sandless feeding platform as well.

Are any of the pool filter sand or play sand options from either Menards or Home Depot acceptable? I really just need help picking out the specific brand of substrate to get.

I've been looking into substrate for a long time now, I have made the decision that I would be comfortable with a shallow amount of sand on the bottom for gripping and aesthetics.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 6D30EA3C-043E-4ED0-974E-35A395B6E87F.jpeg
    6D30EA3C-043E-4ED0-974E-35A395B6E87F.jpeg
    513.3 KB · Views: 304
I’m new to this myself but have kept aquariums for awhile. I use Quikrete Play sand in my 29 gallon fish tank and in our snapping turtles tank. You have to rinse it FOREVER but I’m on a budget and at $7 bucks for a 5lb bag it has been worth it. I’m not sure about it with Axolotls and hope someone with more experience shows up to help us, lol.

Play sand and pool filter sand are all safe just take a ton of rinsing for the play sand.

I have ground pumice sand in 1 of my tanks as a test it works awesome

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back