Substrate questionairre type thing

RubyTiger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
RubyTiger
Doing a study and as part of it I just basically want to find out the most commonly used substrates either alone or in a mix so if you could kindly either copy/paste, reply (either on this thread or pm) and put an x between the [] beside the substrate(s) you use (or just erase those you don't use or just tell me what you use - whatever is less hassle lol).

That alone would be greatly appreciated!! but would be extra helpful if you could state which species you have, which variation/brand your substrate is and perhaps also state why you use that/those substrate(s) Thanks in advance!

Paper towels []
Coir/coconut fibre []
Sphagnum moss []
Live moss (would be helpful if you state which variation) []
Bark/mulch (please state whether it's orchid, cypress etc.) []
Soils (please state what kind e.g. topsoil, potting soil, compost) []
Leaf litter/loam []
Sand []
Gravel/stones []
Carpeting/artificial turf []
Foam rubber []
Other (please state) []

RubyTiger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
RubyTiger
Ah sorry I meant to also mention I was looking at non aquatic species. Terrestrial, arboreal and burrowing.

Lugubris

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Scott
Paper towels []
Coir/coconut fibre [X]
Sphagnum moss []
Live moss (would be helpful if you state which variation) [X]
Bark/mulch (please state whether it's orchid, cypress etc.) []
Soils (please state what kind e.g. topsoil, potting soil, compost) [X]
Leaf litter/loam []
Sand [X]
Gravel/stones [X]
Carpeting/artificial turf []
Foam rubber []
Other (please state) []

My species are 2 A. lugubris and 1 E. eschscholtzii xanthoptica.
My substrate is a thick layer (2") of coir for my Ensatina since he likes to burrow, and a slightly thinner layer (1") for my A. lugubris since they do not burrow. There is a layer of sand beneath for drainage, and on top are large river rocks mixed in with moss growing on maple branches.
I'm no bryologist (one who studies mosses and liverworts) but I believe the moss is Claopodium crispifolium and Homalothecium fulgescens. Moss identification is hard even with a microscope.

I used to make my own mix of topsoil and sand but coir is easier to prepare and holds moisture longer.

JoshBA

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Josh
For my tiger salamanders: I use a mixture of about 85% coco-fiber, 5% cypress mulch, and 10% sterilized organic topsoil (harvested from CRP land on organic ranch). CRP is land reserved for conservation. I find this mixture works really well for a deep substrate (8-12 inches) for holding up the salamander's deep burrows.
For planted vivariums, I use a mixture of equal parts: Coco-fiber, tree fern fiber, and orchid bark (I think its just fir bark). I have found this mixture keeps a perfect moisture level in the substrate, as well as providing excellent drainage (especially good for vivs with water features).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nerodia1:
    Děkuji za přijetí. Hledám tohoto obojživelníka, Typhlonectes compressicauda, nevíte, kde ho získat, nejlépe někde v Evropě.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Caudex has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    VEEK has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lanalotl:
    My axie is acting woerd he was a rescue as stated in a different post he got better and now seems to be deteriorating again...again all tank conditions are OK and as should be. He seems to have some black dapple like pattern under his bottom lip? Is that normal? And his two back feet have a little wierd growth? Almost? Tiny tiny tiny lump. His capillaries in his feathers also appear darker and more visible. Any help would be appreciated
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lanalotl:
    Hes a leucistic axie
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    AmphibiGirl has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dibgame:
    Hey guys. First time on this forum and im not sure what formatting i should use but hey here i go.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jadezoey:
    Hi! I'm being in a hard position where I have to re-home my axolotls. I'm moving out and I would like to find them a new home with someone who can take proper care of them
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jadezoey:
    I have an adult wild type and a juvenile leucistc
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • BigAl:
    Oops my bad accidentally sent that
    +1
    Unlike
  • Binditheaxolotl:
    @HalfDrunkToastLol
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieMomma87:
    is anyone online???
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieMomma87:
    Are you still here
    +1
    Unlike
  • ZayneSantos:
    Is there anyone on who can give me advice?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Max2445:
    @ZayneSantos, What advice do you need
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    based on this video what type of salamander might this larva be? I suspect either eastern newt or spotted salamander
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    help appreciated
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    they are from missouri
    +1
    Unlike
  • MoaningMyrtle:
    Hi...I used to have a Doctor Fish business...I closed about 3 years ago, but still have lots of big, chunky filtration rocks (lava) how could I clean a few of these to use with my Lottie, please? Would they help or hinder overall tank health? don't want to cause her any problems...love my girl to bits!! many thanks in advance. xx
    +1
    Unlike
  • MoaningMyrtle:
    This is my first post...and I think I've put it in the wrong place...if so, I'm very sorry to crash your thread !1
    +1
    Unlike
    MoaningMyrtle: This is my first post...and I think I've put it in the wrong place...if so, I'm very sorry to... +1