Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sudden problem! Help please :(

Lindsay84

Reaction score
I have 7 juvenile axolotls that are 7 weeks old, which I’ve raised from eggs. They have been perfect and super healthy and active and eating really well. Then suddenly the other day their tails have bent to almost 90 degrees at the base by the hind legs. This has in turn paralysed their back legs, which now hang backwards at a strange angle. It has affected all of them within 24-30 hours! They are kept in a large storage container that’s approx 100 x 40 cm. water is changed daily and treated with prime. Nothing new has been added or changed. I also have 8 older juveniles kept separately that are big and healthy and eating well. They have the same water source and food, and are not affected.
I’m absolutely gutted after raising them and them being so healthy to literally bent and paralysed in a day. What on earth is going on? They appear to be pooping and are still eating. All I find on internet is a few similar stories that no one has answers for, and none say whether they recovered at all.
I’m really worried, please someone help

Attachments

• 54E7220C-7572-4E68-892D-7DB697A56187.jpeg
    54E7220C-7572-4E68-892D-7DB697A56187.jpeg
    538 KB · Views: 167

AMurry24537

Reaction score
I have 7 juvenile axolotls that are 7 weeks old, which I’ve raised from eggs. They have been perfect and super healthy and active and eating really well. Then suddenly the other day their tails have bent to almost 90 degrees at the base by the hind legs. This has in turn paralysed their back legs, which now hang backwards at a strange angle. It has affected all of them within 24-30 hours! They are kept in a large storage container that’s approx 100 x 40 cm. water is changed daily and treated with prime. Nothing new has been added or changed. I also have 8 older juveniles kept separately that are big and healthy and eating well. They have the same water source and food, and are not affected.
I’m absolutely gutted after raising them and them being so healthy to literally bent and paralysed in a day. What on earth is going on? They appear to be pooping and are still eating. All I find on internet is a few similar stories that no one has answers for, and none say whether they recovered at all.
I’m really worried, please someone help

I can't say that I've ever heard of anything like that before. Can you think of any differences at all between the two sets? Container material? Water depth? Height or position of container in a room? Light exposure? Food source?

It's possible that it's some kind of genetic thing, but that seems unlikely since it happened to all of them at the same time, so it almost has to be some kind of parameter difference. Sorry I can't give more help! :(

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
How are you cleaning and sterilizing the tubs?

Its likely a reaction to something

Try using double prime for a while to help bind anything in the water.

I have had to do extra prime and add salt for the last few months due to issues with our tap water

Lindsay84

Reaction score
Miraculously, they have all gone back to normal, and almost all mobility in back legs has returned. So strange! But my babies seem healthy again so that’s all that matters...thank u ☺️

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!