suggestions for scoopin the poop?

Brainiac and Lex

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has a good device/tool/system to suck up their axies poop and food remnants... I`ve switched to earthworms recently so that helped the waste left on the bottom a little, but of course there is still poop and remnants from bloodwroms and shrimp. I`m switching to a new 30 gallon tank soon so I really need a better system...

Right now I`m just using a stupid turkey baster (it at least has good suction, not the worst as far as turkey basters go...) but its still small and takes like 20 minutes to even clean my 20 gallon tank, and there are still the poop stains that are a real pain to get off, specially when my lotl Lex won`t move his butt away from the poop, and he really HATES that turkey baster XD.

Anyways, just wondering if theres a good but cheapish vacuum or some tool that does a better job (I also have this crap "ez vac" which is just a glorified cyphon that is way more trouble than its worth...)

I just use the same siphon I use for water changes; it really helps with the big messes. I'll see if I can find a link to the one I got on Amazon.

Okay, the one I originally bought is unavailable now, but here's a link to one that looks similar:

I don't know how this compares to the equipment that you already have, but I like the fact that there's a large opening at the intake end (with the option of adding or removing an intake filter) because it let's me get even the "exploded" poop out pretty easily. You just gotta make sure the bucket you're emptying the water into is below the water line of the tank because, you know, physics.

Okay, the one I originally bought is unavailable now, but here's a link to one that looks similar:

I don't know how this compares to the equipment that you already have, but I like the fact that there's a large opening at the intake end (with the option of adding or removing an intake filter) because it let's me get even the "exploded" poop out pretty easily. You just gotta make sure the bucket you're emptying the water into is below the water line of the tank because, you know, physics.
interesting gizmo, thank you! Although it also says its unavailable, guess I was too slow to the chase, but Ill keep an eye out for that/ ones like it!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back