Suicidal Crix?

H

hayden

My Crickets always seem to jump into the water dish and drown...I have seen them be eaten by my Taricha morphs...Is there a way to stop this...The water is cleaned everyday because of this and I would like to reduce Cleaning...Any Suggestions...

J

joseph

Any way for them to escape? Add a few pebbles/a piece of wood for them to haul out on.

H

hayden

Joseph, There is a lot of foilage sticking out, Pothos and silk plants...

J

jennifer

You're probably talking about small crickets, right? When they come from the shop, they are rather "prone to die" and the water dish gives them a convenient place to do it! One thing that may help is to feed/water the crickets well for a day (or longer) before using them. The ones that are weak and ready to die will die before they go into the tank. Also, try putting a piece of carrot in the tank when you add crickets... this will give them something to eat and might keep them away from the water. And use a minimal number of crickets, of course, so there aren't simply too many in there.

Even with these suggestions, though, you'll still have to change the water any time a cricket dies in there... this is part of what makes caring for morphs a pain in the neck.

S

stewart

How about you hold the crickes with your hand or a clean pair of twezzers.
Thats how i do it with my Axolotl any way.

juca1658

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
juca1658
Crickets are not supposed to be supplied water on a plate or bowl, as they are highly suicidal :tongue:. Instead, lightly soak a sponge with water, clean and re-soak every day or every other day to provide water. They always seem to know exactly what to do. Add more than enough places to hide, such as toilet paper rolls and crumbled newspaper and enough room. Also, have dry food in different places in the kricket keeper, such as dry corn, tortillas, dry bread, etc., otherwise they become cannibalistic.

lilardo

Reaction score
Country
United States
I do the sponge trick, cuts down on cleaning drstically!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Chat Bot:
    MelissaKenyon has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    MelissaKenyon has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    I posted a thread about my axolotl if anyone is able to help me out!
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    She’s not eating, her tail and gills have shrunk, she’s lot a lot of weight, and we’ve checked her water levels with no negative results
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    ^ axie owner advised me to get some IAL, I’m working on sourcing some for my baby.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    wendtdale has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    Would fish medicine made from IAL be alright or are leaves more ideal?
    +2
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Dustinaguilar has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • ChloeAnna:
    So, what sex do we think my lil Mew is?
    +1
    Unlike
  • ChloeAnna:
    I have no idea what I’m doing 🤦🏼‍♀️ I don’t know how to work this website 😅 sorry, ignore the last message 🤦🏼‍♀️
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    liz. has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    liz. has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    man
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    i really want marbled newts but lately the expos have been cancled last minute because of dumb covid stuff
    +1
    Unlike
  • Ax0lot:
    Hey does anyone know why my axolotls mouth is stuck open? Been like that for a few weeks and when I tested water everything was fine
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    you should probably take it to the vet
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    so that dumb salamander state to state import bill didnt pass i take it right
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    havent heard news about it in a good while
    +1
    Unlike
  • wnorman293:
    Hi, how do you delete a post?
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    you dont
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    just kidding but i think there should be an option for it on your profile mabye
    +1
    Unlike
  • ipsoslolly:
    Hi guys my axolotl has not used his back legs since late Tuesday night,is this normal . He back half keeps floating up the way
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    that doesnt sound good
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    Is it normal for my axie to eat every day? He’s overly hungry 😛
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dr. Phil:
    I'm new here but do I detect a bit of sarcasm in these comments? Ya'll sound like a fine bunch to me!
    +1
    Unlike
    Dr. Phil: I'm new here but do I detect a bit of sarcasm in these comments? Ya'll sound like a fine bunch... +1