Question: Suitable Axolotl Substrate

RachelChum

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all,

I am redesigning my 4ft tank (moving on from tropicals) and depending on substrate I will be either moving back to fancy goldies or trying something new with an axolotl. I have already bought two bags of Fluval Plant and Shrimp Stratum Substrate 8kg (so 16kg in total and it has already arrived) as the plan is to have a large gold vine driftwood centerpiece and live plants and mosses etc on and around it and get the plants established before restocking the tank. My question is, is the Fluval soil safe and ideal for axolotls considering they're in contact with it constantly? Or should I cap the substrate with something else like a sand? If I need to cap it, what would be best? Last time I had a live planted tank I just had plain play sand (I was a newbie lol!) which was not a good idea for the plants I had so I wanna try and do it right this time.

Thanks in advance to everyone who replies.

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Chris
You should read this thread on this particular brand of substrate: Fluval Shrimp Stratum Review? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

I don't think it would be safe for Axolotls, its meant for shrimp. You'd be better using 'Flora Base' by Red Sea, which has been said to be Axolotl safe. But I have read that it ideally needs to be replaced yearly can can create a mud like layer on the bottom: flora base? - The Planted Tank Forum
Axolotl Sanctuary

You should cap any plant specific substrate with sand or gravel (sand in the case of Axolotls).

I have heard of lots of users keeping plants suited to colder temperatures of a fresh water aquarium with adequate lighting in just sand with no additional nutrients. I'm currently planting my tank with plants into my sand substrate and using a Hagen-AuqaGlo 15w light.

RachelChum

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Yep well my main focus with this tank will be the live plants and the fish as secondary which is why I've gone with the Fluval. Am thinking now I might just cap it with an inch or so of play sand again to make it as fish safe as possible as I do like the look of the pure white sand under my light. Thanks for the reply :happy:

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Chris
No problem, If your going to keep Axolotls then I would make them the primary concern, if you focus on the plants and use plant specific substrate, fertilisers or other chemicals you could harm or kill the Axolotl

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Unlike
  • supermegaaxolotl123:
    how do i change my profile photo
    +1
    Unlike
  • Geomart317:
    Are they still available?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mother of Dragons:
    I have axolotls still available, to experienced homes, in the DMV area
    +1
    Unlike
  • Sharikaw1986:
    @Mother of Dragons, are you willing to ship to NC?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest Taro Tea has joined the room.
  • (Guest) Taro Tea:
    Um can some one help mee
  • (Guest) Taro Tea:
    I just got this new axolotl and I didn't cycle the water because the pet store guys said I didn't have to but now I know I have to
  • (Guest) Taro Tea:
    Will anything happen to my axolotl??
  • Mother of Dragons:
    keep adding prime everyday for a week and your axolotl should be ok
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest guy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) guy:
    hey
  • sde:
    Caudata.org chat? Haven’t seen this in years
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    @sde, hi everybody I'm getting a tiger salamander coming from Katy Texas what are the shipping conditions that's okay to have them shipped to me in the state of Vermont it's just starting to get the temperature low above 45 but it may be too hot to ship him any thoughts or ideas on how to work this out
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtmember:
    as long as its not freezing they should ship fine. I usually ship mine in 2 days priorities like axolotl. insulation and some cold pack. Is this morphed or still a larvae?
    +1
    Unlike
  • macmac194:
    Greetings I have a quaratined tiger salamander due to not feeding and feeling lethargic. I saw a slimy green stuff inside the enclosure. Is this vomit? Poop?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jjrio421:
    Are you still looking to rehome any of your axolotl babies?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest nagato has joined the room.
  • (Guest) nagato:
    Does anybody know where or who to buy danube crested newts from?
  • Mother of Dragons:
    Anyone in the DMV area looking for juvenile axolotls? I have several morphs available. Experienced owners and pickup only please.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest axmaolotl has joined the room.
  • Ariania Lee-Ann:
    I currently have a 3 year old axolotl, he hasn't been eating for the past couple of weeks and has lost a lot of weight. Hedwig usually eats bloodworms and earthworms just fine but now he won't even stud it. I've done a water change to make his nitrate lower and his water is at a good temperature
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest zippy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) zippy:
    what substrate is he on?
  • Linkisnotzelda:
    Are any of you guys on Quora? I’ve started an axolotl space there and am looking for people interested in helping out!
    +1
    Unlike
    Linkisnotzelda: Are any of you guys on Quora? I’ve started an axolotl space there and am looking for people... +1