Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Display Name
John Clare
Last edited:
Okay break it down for me like I'm an idiot. I'm incapable of reading legal jargon. What is the agenda of this bill? Who is pushing it? How do salamanders benefit? How does it hurt salamander enthusiasts? I have zero opinion on this bill yet.

The agenda is to make all interstate transport of reptiles and amphibians illegal. The gov't is pushing it at this point, so time to worry. Salamanders don't benefit. We don't have bsal here. The hobby will end without interstate transport. get it?

This just makes me sick. My anxiety over this is through the roof. I just found out about it today and I’m just beside myself. I’m going to write a letter to my senators from my state then one to each member of the committee and to Marco Rubio the sponsor of the bill. Everyone needs to do this and mail them a physical copy. I may send a physical and email just to make sure they get it.

This just makes me sick. My anxiety over this is through the roof. I just found out about it today and I’m just beside myself. I’m going to write a letter to my senators from my state then one to each member of the committee and to Marco Rubio the sponsor of the bill. Everyone needs to do this and mail them a physical copy. I may send a physical and email just to make sure they get it.
No point in Rubio unless he's a senator for your state - he's not on the committee. Also, no need to letter everyone on the committee - 1 letter for the whole committee is enough. 1 per each of your state's senators is fine.

Ok will do. I just don’t understand why they are so dead set on destroying the herptoculture hobby? I understand the invasive species but why no interest in feral cats? The animals that kill one billion birds per YEAR plus the billions of native small mammals.

Ok will do. I just don’t understand why they are so dead set on destroying the herptoculture hobby? I understand the invasive species but why no interest in feral cats? The animals that kill one billion birds per YEAR plus the billions of native small mammals.
It's not about invasive species. Injurious is a different thing.

My bad. I would think the feral cat analogy still works. I won’t put this in my letter but I feel like more and more of our rights are being taken away from us. The government names something scary for the public to be afraid of (terrorists) and then passes legislation said to combat said scary issues (Patriot Act) that in fact does nothing to truly combat the problem at all. Maybe I’m way off point here but the thought of no longer enjoying my greatest hobby is beyond depressing.

Wow.... of all the things wrong with the U.S... they want to take our salamanders??.. what the hell

Wow.... of all the things wrong with the U.S... they want to take our salamanders??.. what the hell
I think at this point they entertain themselves by seeing how many of our rights and civil liberties they can take away and not drive the nation crazy. “Land of the Free” but you can’t keep what species of pet your enjoy and prefer. One of the few things that give me joy in my life and they want to take that away from me. I’d bet good money little Marco couldn’t pick out the salamander in a line up of lizards. They have no right to legislate something they don’t even have the tiniest clue about. Why not shut down bullfrog farms? They are immune to the fungus but they sure can carry it! Why not out law migratory waterfowl? They could carry it on their feet from one country to another and from one state to the other. Why not ban herons/egrets that could carry it on their feet as well? So how stupid the law would be?

I sincerely hope that all of you are writing to the committee and your senators, and donating money to USARK.

I've been spread awareness about this issue on my Instagram and gave links to all the information these pages have provided. A lot of my followers have been writing to their senators and writing to the committee. I've also been advising my followers to start using #stopthesalamanderban so that people in the community can learn more about this issue. And I've already sent letters to both my senators and the committee. Hopefully we can get the message out there since this ban will affect a lot of people.

How likely do you think this is to get passed?
If people in the herp hobby (this will affect all of us, not just salamander and large python keepers) just stand around and let it happen, as most appear to be doing, I would say that it is very likely to pass.

This has the potential to shut down the entire pet trade. It has started to make me feel so helpless, but overtime I do develop doubts this will actually happen. For one, consider the economic impacts and for two I doubt USARK would let that happen. They have been battling for their pythons for ages. But there will be recourse if it does go down like everyone is anticipating. This may be the first time (to my knowledge) we could be called to protest.

This has the potential to shut down the entire pet trade. It has started to make me feel so helpless, but overtime I do develop doubts this will actually happen. For one, consider the economic impacts and for two I doubt USARK would let that happen. They have been battling for their pythons for ages. But there will be recourse if it does go down like everyone is anticipating. This may be the first time (to my knowledge) we could be called to protest.
Indeed, USARK already posted about this ALERT: Lacey Act Amendment 2021 | USARK - United States Association of Reptile Keepers

In any case, you are right. This isn't just about salamanders, they're just the icing on the cake. With that in mind, that actually increases the chances of this not passing

Last edited:
That thought has occurred to me as well. That this bill is so broad and vague, maybe it’s less likely to pass.
But this is the scary part. Even if it doesn't pass, they will just try doing the same thing some other way again. Like the 2016 issue basically happening again right now. I hate the fact that we can never rest easy. Our hobby is constantly under attack.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back