Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Surprisingly good at hunting

ShawnJPN

Reaction score
I've lost about 20-70 Red cherry shrimps in my fire belly newt tank, I suspect that they are wild caught because the previous pairs that I owned were never good at hunting. Sometimes they don't hunt to eat rather just nip at a shrimp until they succumb to the injuries or can't swim correctly.

I've just put in the last batch of shrimp I can afford. I was hoping to get a good clean up crew but that might not work out if they're all hunted.

Anyone else share this experience?

JoshBA

Reaction score
That is interesting. Sounds like they could serve as a good food source if you established a separate shrimp colony tank.

I had a similar experience with amphipods. I was hoping to establish a small population in the main tank that could serve as a supplemental food source, assuming that the newts would catch them at low, sustainable frequencies. To my surprise, the amphipods were hunted to local extinction in a few days.

I wouldn't continue buying shrimp for the newt tank, unless you're keen on providing your newts with expensive meals. Instead, you could set up a breeding colony and use them as a food source. If you're interested in a detritivore, I'd just go with some snails. These too will likely be readily eaten, but if you go with some of the larger species (apple snails, ramshorns), the adults will be too large to get eaten.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1