Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Suspending bloodworms / mosquitoes ?

tritus

Reaction score
Summer time in England offers plenty of bloodwoms and mosquitoes eggs and young larvae, which, once of descent size, I feed to my newts. Come winter and the supply runs out.
Any knowledge out there on freezing or refrigerating eggs or hatchling bloodwoms / mosquitoes to be re-started in cultures for the cold season?
Thanks
Dewy

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Bloodworms can be found in the winter too. They just don't reproduce very well then (or at all?). I don't recall ever seeing midge/mosquito larvae in the winter in the British Isles. There's no way you could refridgerate the eggs of either - particularly bloodworm eggs since these are suspended in jelly "tubes" that are held in place by a very thin "string".

tritus

Reaction score
Thanks for replying, John.
How do bloodworms and mosquitoes over winter in the British Isles?
In summer time I collect bloodworm jelly egg packs and mosquitoes egg aggregations from the outdoors, plunk them in a jar of water, they then hatch and grow.
Surely it should be possible to keep them suspended in refrigeration in their natural winter phase, shouldn’t it?
Dewy

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
How do bloodworms and mosquitoes over winter in the British Isles?
As far as I'm aware they do so as larvae. Bloodworms definitely still reproduce in the winter, albeit slowly, but I think mosquitoes go into a sort of "wait for spring" phase.

Surely it should be possible to keep them suspended in refrigeration in their natural winter phase, shouldn’t it?
I'm failing to see the point here. Even if you kept the eggs near freezing they would still hatch in a few weeks I think.

tritus

Reaction score
I’ll explain myself:
I assume the eggs/larvae suspended in refrigeration will resume normal rate of growth once returned to normal temperatures.
The benefit would be prolonged supply of starters to the cultures, perhaps lasting beyond the season of plenty.
Can you see my point?

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes but if they won't/can't reproduce in the winter then it's an extremely limited supply.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1