Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Swollen FBT

Peakone

Reaction score
Hey guys i have problem with my male fb.
The toad dont accept any food 2nd week. Its belly is swollen and expirience some difficulty while moving. I can see that the poor thing is not feeling well. He stopped croaking and is hiding in the plants most of the time...

Here are some pics:
51345d1365356939-swollen-fbt-_dsc0001.jpg

51346d1365356945-swollen-fbt-_dsc0002.jpg

51347d1365356950-swollen-fbt-_dsc0005.jpg

51348d1365356960-swollen-fbt-_dsc0009.jpg

51349d1365356965-swollen-fbt-_dsc0011.jpg

I was thinking if it has problems with pooping. I cant monitor if they poop regulary, because of the enclosure and i dont want to move him in a box or something, because the stress might even make the situation worse.

Any1 have expirienced this problem and/or have some advise?|

There are no herpetologists in Bulgaria so im on my own :(

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Are you sure it´s a male? Seems to me like it could be a female in which case this might just be that she is getting filled with eggs. I can´t see any indication of bloat and if the animal is impacted there´s little you can do but wait. Perhaps moving the animal to a quarantine tank where you can monitor if it defecates would be the best course of action.

Peakone

Reaction score
I have him from 2 and a half years and he was croaking pretty often and grasping my other toad in amplexus so it gotta be a male. Also the front legs are more muscular compared to the other's.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Ok. The front legs didn´t seem as big as i´ve seen in other males, that´s why i had my doubts.
I would go ahead with the quarantine if only as a precaution.

Willlis

Reaction score
The first thing to go with most amphibians when dealing with any sort of health issue, be it parasite, infection, or just old age, is the ability to properly osmoregulate. You often see edema, or swelling of the body cavity due to extra fluid in animals when this happens. The swelling on this frog doesn't seem all that bad but he probably does need some extra care. I am working with a FBT with a much worse case of edema right now. Unfortunately there is not often much you can do about it treatment wise. Good luck, hope he gets better.

Peakone

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys! I have moved the toad in other tank, we'll see what will happen

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!