Swollen leg!

J

jenny

today i put oswald in his own tank and fiji in her own tank...fiji bcos she doesnt seem in bestest of conditions when i bought her but i noticed she has a swollen leg and she was bleeding a bit underneath but i think that might be cos she struggled a bit when i tried moving her. but whats with the swollen leg? should i take her vet?? its quite bloated and a bit red inside.

For now, just keep an eye over next day or so and salt the water. You know how by now..i'm sure.

Try not to handle her an if moving them again use a small net. a 4"x6" costs about 2 quid from any pet shop.

2 quid i only paid 79p for mine lol and its perfect and fits the axie in jenny they sell them at pets at home in robin park also have a look there one day they have lots of fish products and it aint far to travel for us

See Mik's quote:

'Try not to handle her an if moving them again use a small net. a 4"x6" costs about 2 quid from any pet shop'

nooooo the whole salt thing i seriously dont get! all this salt stuff on the main site i cnat get a hold of! is table salt or sea salt ok?? and how much???

i'm adding some table salt (the fine stuff, not rock salt) to my tank today - just add a small pinch per litre (as per john in an earlier post). if you want to find the original post, i think it was in one of the eggs posts.

I'll do some copy-n-paste ;)

"... Adding salt to the water is an excellent thing to do for animals with skin problems. You can use any of the commercial aquarium salt products, sea salt, or even just noniodized table salt. One to two teaspoons (5 to 10 cc) of salt in a gallon (about 4 L) of water will help to keep bacterial levels low, and axolotls can live in this slightly salty water indefinitely. For serious skin problems, a strong salt-water dip is one of the best and safest things you can do ..."

the rest of the article is on 'what to do in case...'

cheers

cool yesterday elliot my new axie ate out my hand he had 3 worms then today i tryed to feed him a fine slice of lambs liver he took a tiny bite then refused it i wonder why also i got some sand today for the tank

Just out of interest whats is the difference between iodized and non-iodized, anyone, chem students out there? Does it mean it has a salt of iodine added? or something else?

I use aquarium salt. But it doesn't say which it is.

Most people are iodine deficient because there is so little iodine in our diets. Thats why there is Iodized salt. It contains Iodine, which could be harmful to your axie.

Carl, he probably didnt eat because he's not hungry. I feed my axies 1/3 of a nightcrawler 2 or 3 times a week, and that keeps them plenty fat.

dunno what iodine is but i know i used it when i was testing soil samples at college...i think...or maybe it was when we drenched a leaf in iodine then did somethin or other. hmmm...

but anyways...so i find non iodised salt and add a small pinch per litre into fijibobs tank...when should i change the water? or i should i do this as a ten min bath for ten mins every day? should i give oswold a salt bath to even though doesnt seem like he has fungus anymore just to make sure?

i noticed half of one of oswolds gills had been bit off but i dont think hari or liz were actually attackin him...cos i gave hari a worm then she was half way through eating it and oswold came and tried snappin it off her but she snapped again at the worm n he got in the way n just got a lil shock or somethin but i reckon thats how he got his leg and bit of gill bitten off!

Jenny,

Maybe you should think about keeping Oswold in a different tank for a while. Couple of reasons

1. He seems to be getting picked on quite alot and until he is bigger he may have more problems and get really hurt.

2. If he did have fungus just because it isnt visable on him anymore it may still be in the tank infecting the rest of the guys in his tank.

This is why as soon as i could i took Spunky out of the main tank, as i may have lost Jynx at the same time. And im sure you dont want a huge vet bill, or some very sick axo's!

yeah both oswold and fijibob are in 2 dif tanks seperate from the big tank.

liz seems more out n about rather than just staying in hiding since osy and fiji went a couple of days ago.

They just need time to all settle in. Just let them be and keep an eye on them all.

As long as they are all well everything will be ok, its just like you getting to know a new friend.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back