Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

T. dobrogicus breeding, larvae and adult photos

otolith

Reaction score
Well my Dobros are at it again. The three females laid nearly 300 eggs in the span of about 3 weeks starting in early December. Out of that original number I have 80 or so larvae who are ravenously chasing down moina and growing exceptionally fast.

The adults have been laying every day but all of the recent eggs have been duds. I have never seen large quantities of fertile eggs before infertile ones before, has anyone else experienced this? The 50% egg die off is to be expected but this is something new.

Here are a few photos of the parents and some of the larvae set ups. Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_0027.jpg
    IMG_0027.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_0039.jpg
    IMG_0039.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_0043.jpg
    IMG_0043.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_0044.jpg
    IMG_0044.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 398

Niels D

Reaction score
I haven´t experienced that myself. Mine started laying in november and they haven´t stopped since except for a little pause now and then. About 20% are duds in the end alas.

sde

Reaction score
They look great!
Honestly it kind of makes me sad to know that I cant keep this species, dang Washington's rules!!! Such a extensive blacklist.

Keep me updated on the growth of the larvae if you can, I find it all very neat to watch.
Also, anything special you did to get them to breed? Or just keep them "happy and healthy" and they bred?

Congratulations! -Seth

otolith

Reaction score
Seth-

The newts are kept in the coolest room in the house and get to high 60s in the summer and cool down to the high 40s/low 50s in the winter. Once the temp creeps up to 58-62 the females usually start laying eggs. Last year they did not get cooler than about 60F and had a much shorter laying season. In my experience a cooling spell is the only "fool proof" way to get the species I keep into breeding condition. Convenient since the seasons do all the work for you.

sde

Reaction score
Your lucky, the temp in the coldest part of the house here ( the basement ) doesn't get lower that 50 I don't think. This morning it was in the low 30's outside and was in the mid 50's inside, in the basement. I don't know why. The seasons would do all the work for me too, but the basement never gets cold enough. Maybe if I remove the my filter that warms the water a bit, that might help.......

Thanks for the info man! -Seth

frogman

Reaction score
Mine just like to breed on their own, no methods or cooling :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1