Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

T. Marmortatus skin disease

baimoth

Reaction score
The first picture is three days ago. They were totally fine. Today, one of them was greatly darker than usual. It looks like a skin disease. I recently rose the vivarium's water level up where it reaches the moss part. Would that be the cause? When I checked the nitrate level with tester, it was higher than 50mg/l. I was surprised since the vivarium is vegetated and with an external cannister filter. Anyway, my guess is nitrate poisoning. Any other opinions?

I hope it is curable and not serious problem. His appetite is still good.

Attachments

• KakaoTalk_20151110_122735975.jpg
    KakaoTalk_20151110_122735975.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 424
  • KakaoTalk_20151110_120357087.jpg
    KakaoTalk_20151110_120357087.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 408
  • KakaoTalk_20151110_120808453.jpg
    KakaoTalk_20151110_120808453.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 325
  • KakaoTalk_20151110_141205282.jpg
    KakaoTalk_20151110_141205282.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 316

JM29

Reaction score
Hello,

For the nitrate level, no surprise : when you rose up the water level, nitrate present in the terrestrial substrate (from organic matter mineralization) may have been driven in the water.

For the skin of this individual, I doubt that nitrates may be involved.
First because 50 mg/l isn't very toxic,
second because you have only one animal concerned.

dannyyyallenn

Reaction score
Looks to me like some sort of fungal infection. Did this guy have any abrasions any time recently where a pathogen could've entered its system? Or did it eat anything possibly rotten(i.e old food)? I would look at some of the FAQ articles about caring for skin infections. Try to rule out to possibilities and treat with care. And yea, Nitrate...I don't think that could be the culprit. Its poisonous in large quantities, yes, but I haven't known an infection like that to be a symptom.

baimoth

Reaction score
surprisingly, his skin became normal when I got back from the work. Was it just a shed?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1