Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

T. verrucosus

modestum

Reaction score
Hi,

I have 3 T. verrucous in a 50/50 tank at the moment. I've had them for 2+ years and the are about 3 inches. They spend 99% of the time on the terrestrial side. Is there a way to encourage them to become more aquatic?

BananaBearzz

Reaction score
I sugest making the terrestrial side less comfortable. I'm not an expert on the subject but from experiance it works.
Have an amazing day!
Banana

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There seems to be lots of conflicting info on how best to care for this species, probably down to people's experience with the different strains having slightly different habits. Many people report that they will become aquatic at temps over 22c, so maybe give that a try.
My own group of (dark form) adults are often cooler than that, yet never left the water after they morphed and even though they have a planted island to use they never do.
Mine spend most of their time hanging out in the weeds near the surface, so I would recommend plenty of live plants to make the water more appealing to them.

dutch guy

Reaction score
There seems to be lots of conflicting info on how best to care for this species, probably down to people's experience with the different strains having slightly different habits. Many people report that they will become aquatic at temps over 22c, so maybe give that a try.
My own group of (dark form) adults are often cooler than that, yet never left the water after they morphed and even though they have a planted island to use they never do.
Mine spend most of their time hanging out in the weeds near the surface, so I would recommend plenty of live plants to make the water more appealing to them.
I think it also that it also depend's on their original CW habitat and the way they are kept afther they metamorph we left them in the water with a little isle,

Verstuurd vanaf mijn OZZY met Tapatalk

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I just use a floating island of cork bark, and a heavily planted tank.The island is occasionally used by the more heavily gravid females.
If you wish to encourage them to be aquatic, I would start of with shallow water and plants, as they get used to their new environment increase the water depth.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!