Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tadpole wood frog and salamanders .. Help questions

Woodfrog888

Reaction score
Hi all I got some spotted salamander eggs and wood frog tadpoles from a dried up vernal pool ... There were some still alive and kicking.Many of the of the salamanders hatched ... Some died.
I have two containers. One glass tank that has some wf tadpoles with some spotted salamander tadpoles. One plastic container with salamander only.
As of now I have only fed them dried blood worms and fish flakes powdered.

Here are my help questions.

1. The wf tadpoles are a few weeks older than the spotteds, will the wf eat them?

2. Should I be feeding them something else?

3. At first I filled the tank with some vp water and leaf litter from their own pool. Now I have tap water (not treated) and just a few rocks. Is there anything else I should add?

Thanks.

Lertsch

Reaction score
1. Never a bad idea to separate different species especially when there's a size difference
2. I have has success with microworms, white worms and finely chopped earthworms for newt larvae. Assume they should work for other larvae.
3. Really should treat the water to remove chlorine/chloramine. Adding live plants (along with a light source for the plants) will give them some cover and help maintain water quality.

Woodfrog888

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. How do you finely chop the earth worms? I tried this but I do not think they touched any of the bits. I ended up trying some mini meal worms and micro bugs and some sort of micro worm from a nearby pond.

Our water is from a spring fed well .. So I don't think chlorine is an issue.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1