Tail rot? Injury? Help please (danube cresteds)

Aquaticjade

Reaction score
Country
United States
I noticed a few weeks ago the very tips of my danube crested newts tails weren't pointy anymore. I've been keeping an eye on it and it hasn't progressed at all until this past week. One of them has been the same since the beginning, but the other is missing a tad bit more of the tail tip now. I'm not sure if it's a bacterial infection or an injury? The wound is clean, no signs of any fungus or peeling skin around the area.

Some info:
I bought them from a reputable hobbyist on here and have had them for around 5 months. There is only two of them in a half filled 20 gal long paludarium. No other tank mates. The paludarium is heavily planted and the water parameters are ammonia and nitrite 0, nitrate 5-10ppm. Temp is 68-70F and never exceeds 72. There is a water pump with some ceramic media that I have setup as a light waterfall as well as a large sponge filter. I do weekly 50% water changes with temp matched water religiously. My water is acidic at 6.6-6.8 pH not sure if this may be the problem? For the most part they get along quite fine (not sure of the sex but neither of them have grown crests despite being adults). However I've learned that danube cresteds are definitely more aggressive than other newt species. Especially around feeding time. If I don't get each of them a worm in time they will accidentally target each other and latch on and do the "alligator death roll". It's gotten pretty aggressive before to the point where I had to separate them with an aquascaping tool and try to pull them off of each other. Other than that though I don't notice them fighting ever. I never touch them with my hands or handle them despite them being super boisterous and friendly. I only feed them a big piece of earthworm twice a week.

Any ideas as to what's going on, and if I should try and treat it and with what? One of the pictures has both of their tails in it so you can see what's going on with both of them. Other than the tails they seem very healthy, all their limbs and toes and skin look good.

Thanks guys!
20211104_180226.jpg

20211104_180213.jpg
20211104_180153.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back