Tank Cycle Crashed! I Need Help.

Kurt Schulz

Reaction score
Country
United States
Don't worry, the axies are safe. I was monitoring levels and I noticed ammonia was higher than it should be. They are tubbed right now and happy as can be. My real problem though is the tank. The levels have gone completely unstable since taking out my axolotls. The PH bounced around and nitrates got way too high. I don't know what I did wrong. I have a 40 gallon tank, Two bundles of java grass, a bubble stone, two sponge filters and a regular flow filter. My substrate is sand and temp is 65 degrees Fahrenheit. I don't know what I can do right now so I need some help. I have a few pictures of last weeks and this weeks parameters. 1 is from last week and 2,3+4 are from the past 6 days.

Attachments

• perameters 1.jpg
    perameters 1.jpg
    734.4 KB · Views: 524
  • perameters 2.jpg
    perameters 2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 124
  • Parameters 3.jpg
    Parameters 3.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 115
  • Parameters 4.jpg
    Parameters 4.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 115
while you recycle your aquarium i would recommend tubing your axolotl

Did you cycle your tank before? How often do you do water changes? Did you rinse your filters in tap water? Do you know how to cycle your tank again?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back