Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank cycled? Or not yet?

Emmajane07

Reaction score
Here are my parameters as of yesterday:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20 ppm
Ph: 7.6

I added ammonia to bring it up to 4ppm to test that it would all be gone in 24 hours, but it's sitting at about 1ppm still. The ph is at 8.4 as well. I have been using Prime for a water change yesterday to get nitrates down and Stability. Also took my heater out yesterday and cooled to 64 f. Do I just need to wait more? I was hoping to pick up my little dude but I'll wait if I'm not cycled yet.

I'm fighting every urge to use Ph Down and dump the whole bottle of Stability in.

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
If you cool the tank too quickly you kill off part of the bacteria bed which is likely what happened. Its a slow over a few days cool down in order to not disturb the bacteria.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1