Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank cycling help please(Solved)

Fluffinmuffins

Reaction score
I recently acquired a juvenile axolotl, no more than 2 inches long. Tiny little guy. He is unfortunately right now living in an uncycled 20 gallon tank, that I am doing daily water changes on. Generally speaking I do about 20% but recently encountered an ammonia spike so I did about a 60% change to the tank. I have been dosing prime on a daily basis, as well as using it for water changes. I am also dosing with Seachem stability in the meantime. This hasn't seemed to do much for my tank in the week I've been using it, but I continue to dose anyway. I was able to get some seeded media in the form of a sponge filter to go ahead and get this tank cycled. The filter will be here Thursday. I have been testing parameters religiously throughout this process to make sure this little guy stays safe. Tubbing him isn't really a viable option in my household right now. I do have some questions about how to go about using this seeded media. I was instructed to keep all of the water that the bag contains and put it in my tank to keep the nitrifying bacteria. Should I remove my axolotl in this process? I assume it will be dirty and gunky and I don't want to stress him out by dumping a bunch of gunk into his tank with him in it. I have a sufficient air pump to get the filter circulating the moment it arrives. He is eating properly, swimming around, pooping, with zero signs of stress. Seems pretty content. At this size is he going to make sufficient waste to keep the bacterial colony alive? Should I do a water change prior to adding the filter to my tank? This is my first axolotl experience. I'd like to do it right and keep him healthy. Any help is appreciated!

Sanshouo

Reaction score
You really shouldn't keep an axolotl in a tank that isn't cycled yet. The ideal thing to do would be to keep him in a separate container and do 100% water changes daily (treating with prime each time). Even though he looks fine right now, things can go downhill fast with axies. Ammonia can spike rapidly in a matter of hours and your axie could be sick or dying within days. As for the tank, just add the sponge filter and let it do its thing. For the ammonia source you have a couple options. You could remove the poop from your axie container and add it to the tank everyday, you could put in some feeder fish, you could add some type of food (I've heard this is not ideal), or you can buy straight up ammonia (in the form of a salt combo like ammonium chloride). You shouldn't need to do any water changes for the tank unless your ammonia or nitrite are extremely high, in which case you can do up to 50% change as needed. You'll know the tank is cycled when ammonia and nitrite are 0 and there is nitrate present. Hopefully won't take more than a couple weeks but could be a couple months. I'm no expert on the topic of cycling but I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Fluffinmuffins

Reaction score
I appreciate the help! I haven't received the filter yet but it is out for delivery. It isn't ideal to have him in an uncycled tank, I'm aware. Hence the sponge filter. I understand the idea of a mini cycle if you don't have enough beneficial bacteria to handle the bioload, however I was under the impression that putting established media in the tank didn't require the addition of ammonia and allowed the addition of aquatic life immediately to be the ammonia source. The sponge filter for the tank is rather large for the 20 gallon tank I currently have for him, and should contain enough beneficial bacteria to cycle the tank very quickly. Unless I am mistaken about how established media works? Naturally I am planning on checking water parameters as I have been doing multiple times a day.

Sanshouo

Reaction score
It's not quite that simple. It's true that much of the beneficial bacteria in a cycled tank is present on the filter media, but there is also bacteria in the substrate, on the walls, in the water, on plants, etc. Putting in the sponge filter will be hugely beneficial and will likely speed things up considerably, but it doesn't make your tank instantly safe. The bacteria will have to get established in the new environment, which usually takes at least a couple weeks. A tank isn't considered cycled and "safe" until your ammonia and nitrite readings are consistently 0. Even an ammonia level of .25 can be toxic to an axolotl so if you insist on cycling with the axie in, you'll have to be extremely vigilant of the readings. That's why it's easier and safer to just keep him in a separate container. It doesn't have to be very big if you're doing daily 100% water changes; a gallon would be fine. Plus, it would keep you from having to constantly do water changes in the tank which slows down the cycling.

Fluffinmuffins

Reaction score
I would tub him if I felt he would be safe, but for an extended period of time I really don't believe he would. The water changes can be frustrating and time consuming, but I have committed myself to monitoring that, considering he is in less than ideal conditions. I did receive the sponge filter, which hopefully will get this done very quickly, but I am prepared to continue the water changes and testing every day during the next few weeks until it is established.

Murk

Reaction score
I'm not saying this to disagree with Sanshouo in any way (all that is right), but in-tank cycling can be done.
It might be a bit risky, but so is tubbing an axolotl. Daily 100% water changes in a tub are very stressful as well, and water quality (and temperature) will fluctuate much more in a small tub.

The main problem with in-tank cycling is that it takes longer (because you'll have to do water changes to keep the water OK) and that it is more work. To get an unstocked tank cycled, you just keep it running for two months without looking at it. Easy as that!
With an axolotl in it, you'll have to monitor, clean and worry about it for three months.

Axolotls are sturdy creatures, they can handle it. It is far from ideal, as Sanshouo rightly notes, but in some cases it's the best option. Your method seems safe enough to me.

Fluffinmuffins

Reaction score
I prefer not to keep him in conditions less than ideal, but that is why I am using established media, as well as daily water changes. I don't see much of a difference between changing water daily in a tub and changing the water daily in his tank, as long as I am very careful, and monitor it very closely. I'm just trying to do what is right by the little guy, and keep him happy in the process. So far, he seems content enough. I did place the sponge filter in his tank, and used the dirty water it came in as well to maintain the nitrifying bacteria. Only time will tell if it will push my cycle along. Thank you guys for the help in the process.

miola

Reaction score
I have cycled a tank with an Axolotl in it. You just have to be careful and test everyday, watch for signs of stress and keep up those daily water changes. It is work but it can be done. So I think you are on the right track. I also used Prime, Pristine and a bottle of Tetra Safe Start plus. Even with your cycled media, keep testing your water because you may end up with a mini cycle while the bacteria establishes itself throughout the tank. Here's wishing you a speedy cycle 🙂

Fluffinmuffins

Reaction score
I purchased a second sponge to see if that will push things along as well. Thus far, it hasn't seemed to do much for my tank. I'm still consistently doing water changes and testing the parameters of his tank every day. He is behaving normally. Eating normally, growing quite quickly, gills not curled, no signs of stress whatsoever as far as I can tell. I am being very cautious with the ammonia levels, and dosing with Prime every day. Thank you!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!