Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank cycling question

MewTheAxy

Reaction score
Ok so I recently got a new axolotl which seems to be happy and healthy. I have seeded filter media in my tank and I have a reading of: ammonia: 0, nitrite: 0.25, and nitrate: 10. I am just wondering why this little bit of nitrite isn’t converting into nitrate. I have been dosing the tank with prime and doing water changes to reduce nitrate. Should I have to tub my axolotl or should I just do a fish in cycle? And if so, how should I go about doing this?

cro117

Reaction score
are you using test strips or another form of testing? in my experience the strips can show mild to moderate inconsistencies. also check your tap waters nitrAte level, as some districts have 5-25 straight out of the tap, so sometimes lowering nitrates to 0 must be done with plants or anaerobic bacteria.

as for the nitrite, sometimes it takes a bit of time for the bacteria to die off/go dormant, and regrow with new water conditions, such as if added to chlorinate water or a tank with vastly different ph. usually this doesn't take more then a week or two. the real question is whether or not you have any good bacteria from the seed filter at all. if you have the time to test the tank, id ad some food to it, cheap flake would work well, and get the ammonia up to a readable level, then see if it lowers withing a week or so. if not, then the seed filter material might not have transferred well, or didn't have all that much nitrifying bacteria to begging with. if this is the case, just try adding some more, or maybe a piece of wood or rock from the established tank.

stress testing the cycle takes more time, but its a very important step when dealing with sensitive animals like coral, shrimp, or i assume axolotls. an amonia reading of 0 is esentialy meaningless unless you've had a previously measurable reading. the good news is there's nothing complicated you have to do aside from possibly adding a bit more seed material, all it takes is a little more patience. instead of the tank cycling naturally in 2-4 months, it should only take you about 1 month or less.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1