Question: Tank dividers and spermatophores

jadealexis

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm pretty new to the axie world and am just trying to do my research before I get my first.

I bought a 55 gallon tank and would like to keep around 4. My thought was that if I used a tank divider down the middle, I could keep 2 females together and 2 males together, and if I ever wanted to breed, I could reconfigure them for a bit.

But I've been looking at tank dividers online (I have never used one or seen one myself) and they all have semi large holes for water circulation. My question is would it be possible that a male could put out one of his spermatophores and a female could possibly pick it up through the mesh/ hole?

I don't believe that would be possible. And the dividers work great :cool:

Good to know. When I was a kid we had a dog who was impregnated through a chain link fence, so I was curious! :grin:

:eek: Oh my goodness. But yeah this is what I had in mind- if there is a will there is a way, right? Yikes.

I found tank dividers unreliable. I used them twice, once to separate a male from the female. He managed to dislodge it and despite being removed quite quickly, I ended up with eggs...I suspect pheromones played a part :) The second time was when I used the divider to separate an adult from some juveniles..he managed to get through and eat a fair few :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back