Tank question

D

dane

i read somewere on a caresheet that for a water feature you can put an inch or so of gravel on the bottom of the tank then put water to the top of the gravel, then put the moss or substrate down and leave a part open for a "pool".

My question is would you need a filter for this or can you like replace the water everyday or so? if you need a filter what can you use??

Hi Dane, I personally wouldn't use a filter in those conditions. What sort of filter are you thinking of? With dart frogs it's important to have high humidity which is achieved through regular misting. This leads to a build up of water in the enclosure and so keepers either use false bottomed tanks with built in drainage or have a drainage layer (gravel or LECA) as you describe with substrate placed on top. You need to have access to drain this water off fairly regularly as it will contain the waste products from the inhabitants which get washed through from frequent misting. If it's only a small amount of water a syphon or baster will do the job fine.

A filter is not needed in a heavily planted dartfrog vivarium. I set up my vivs as you describe, except using LECA instead of gravel.

ok thanks guys, I wasnt really thinking of any filter because I really dont know much about them

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back