Tank size

D

deanna

I have a tank that is 70cm long, 32cm high, 35cm wide. I was just wondering how many axolotls would fit comfortably in a tank this size? i have two white axolotls in a tank that is 50cm x 25cm x 28cm as they are getting bigger i want to put them in the big tank but i also want to get maybe 1 or 2 more. Do you think it will be too crowded??

I also would like to know what kind of filter is the best type to use in a tank this big?

the 70cm long tank would fit your 2 axies in comfortably.i keep my 2 in a 60cm long tank and they seem fine with it.but i think 2 would be the maximum for that tank size. 3 if they grow to a small size. but i myself wouldn't have more than 2 in that tank.
happy.gif

cool thanks. What kind of filter do you recommend i use? i got told to use a under gravel filter but as i am using a sand substrate instead of gravel the sand will block the filter. I had a filter that had a little extension on it that had holes and the water flowed thru but i got told that i shouldn't use it cause it could cause te axolotls to stress out.

i dont currently have a filter in my tank and i dont have a clue about filters.lol.sorry.

Deanna - It sounds like your tank is a 20 gallon long. I have one of those and I have been thinking about what kind of filter to use on it for axolotls.

It currently has no animals in it and has a penguin 170 (hang on back filter) running on it. This makes way to much current unbaffled.

I recently purchased an Aquarium Pharmaceuticals RENA Filstar XP 1 Canister Filter to try on this tank but I have not hooked it up yet. It has a spray bar so I am hoping it wont be too much filter for the tank. I will try and get that finished over this weekend.

I prefer canister filters over hang on the back filters. I have always used them on larger tanks though.

Perhaps others who have 20 gallon long tanks or something similar could suggest filters that they are using?

Claire - Since you are using no filter I am curious as to how often you do partial water changes?

Cynthia - i do around 20-30% water change once a week. i test the water before i do the water change just to make sure ammonia and nitrites aren't building up and they are fine every time. the new tank im getting has a filter with it so ill have one then. it will cycle quicker if it has been used in a tank before wont it?because its a fish tank that has been used by someone else and has all the filter etc with it.

I had an axolotl 4 years ago and kept her in a fish tank with no filter at all.

This was because I was young and had no real clue how to look after axies. I was just sold one and told to feed it blood worm everyone other day and keep it clean.

What a wake up this website was!

I have to say though, that particular axie lived 2 years in those conditions with no problems. She never got ill or poisoned from levels etc

I eventually saved up enough money and brought a filter, not because I was any wiser but because I was fed up of cleaning her out all the time.

It was the filter that eventually killed her - again I was never told that water movement stressed them out and caused illness.
sad.gif

You don't really need a filter as long as you keep the substrate clean and the water changed. I know a few people who don't use filters.

Claire - Thanks, thats not too bad. I was wondering if it was an every other day partial water change to keep the water quality up. Once a week sounds very reasonable.

If the new tank you are getting has a filter that is kept wet and you don't change the media when you set up the tank at your house that will help speed things up yes.

It would be an added bonus if the tank has a substrate that is suitable for your axolotls. If the tank has been torn down a while and everything is dried out... probably no faster than the usual 30+ days of cycling.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back