Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank upgrade - looking for plant advice

Megez

Reaction score
Back story - My Fiancé and I are expecting our first little human in August, so I've not been able to dive into the tank and fix it up as much as I would like for the past 6 months (my partner doesn't want me risking getting me or the baby sick)

We have now moved into a larger space and I want to get a tank set up for them so I can be proud to display the axolots in our hobby room... and not just have them in their old grimy tank that they're in now... plus it's a leak risk... the tank is ancient, and has a smaller footprint than I really want for them, so it's completely bare bottom minus their hides. - I have managed to grow Pothos hanging over the edge though.

I'm in the works of bringing home a 40+ Gal Bow front tank set up, and I want to get it looking nice. It'll have a sand bottom, and I have 2 decent sized pieces of driftwood which I plan to attach Anubias species, and maybe some Java fern.

I'm trying to go for a low fuss low maint tank since my hands will soon be full with trying to keep little human alive.

I have some Jungle Val in one of my 75 Gal tanks that I'm planning on sampling from. And I can look into splitting some of the Java fern and Anubias plants I have in the 30 Gal tank.

When it comes to other plants I'm trying to find foreground stuff - background I'll probably grab hornwort or cabomba or similar stem tall plants from the LFS.
Has anyone tried keeping Crypts with Axolotls? Or does anyone know of any decently quick spreading low growing plants?

edit: I do want to add, I do not really like small floating plants like duckweed etc, but I wouldn't be too opposed if there is a larger floater to break up the light hitting the bottom of the tank

Last edited:

JM29

Reaction score
Good news, congratulations !

As for the tank project, a low maintenance tank is a good solution for axolotls.
One condition is that you put a lot of plants, and at least some fast-growing plants.
Jungle Val (Vallisneria ?) may be a good solution as fast-growing species. You have also Egeria densa and Ceratophyllum (hornwort)

If you don't like duckweed as floating plants, I suggest either Pistia stratiotes or Salvinia auriculata.

Of course, you can keep your Anubias and Java fern (fix them on the

Unfortunately, I have no experience with Cryptocoryne. I've read they like heat and I know axolotls don't like temperatures above 22°C.

any decently quick spreading low growing plants
Generally, low growing plants are also low spreading.

Megez

Reaction score
Good news, congratulations !

As for the tank project, a low maintenance tank is a good solution for axolotls.
One condition is that you put a lot of plants, and at least some fast-growing plants.
Jungle Val (Vallisneria ?) may be a good solution as fast-growing species. You have also Egeria densa and Ceratophyllum (hornwort)

If you don't like duckweed as floating plants, I suggest either Pistia stratiotes or Salvinia auriculata.

Of course, you can keep your Anubias and Java fern (fix them on the

Unfortunately, I have no experience with Cryptocoryne. I've read they like heat and I know axolotls don't like temperatures above 22°C.

Generally, low growing plants are also low spreading.

Forgot about good old Hornwort!

I don't think I've ever seen Slavinia sp. in person before... I'll have to look at the local shops, it's interesting looking! And Water lettuce, forgot these things existed lol -- one of my 75gal tanks is goldfish, the other 75 are Mbuna cichlids (herbivores) - both destroyed any sort of floating plants I've attempted to put in there... they had a lovely salad though. :cautious:

The Cryptocorynes are the biggest question mark for me, I like them cause they're low and actually a soft leaf (compared to Anubias), but yeah, I don't want to invest in picking up plants that will just die in the "cold" habitat.

Megez

Reaction score
It's Moving Day!!! The Trio had no idea what was going on... they were stuck in a water change bucket for about half an hour while we tore down the old set up, and got the new-to-me bowfront tank installed, decorated and planted!

Super thanks to my hubby for doing most of the work cause baby bump wouldn't let me do too much -- I planted the tank and did the driftwood.

But Blackjack (large black wild type), Pip ( dwarf black wild type), and Doctor (albino with the extra front leg) are settling in well. They're enjoying the upgraded hides. We shall see if they keep Val planted in the sand... And I plan to try and add additional plants near the terracotta pots.
bucket o lotls.jpg
Blackjack & Pip.jpg

Doctor.jpg

full tank.jpg

FTS.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!