Tank water parameters - help

sparklysalamander

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all, sorry if this type of question gets posted constantly. I will be getting my first axolotl this Sunday (the 29th.) To prepare, I set up my tank at the end of July because I read about how it needed to complete the nitrogen cycle. However, I'm less than a week out from the axolotl coming home (I'm getting it from a reptile show so the date isn't flexible) and I have 2 problems with my tank.
  1. The pH is too high
  2. The nitrogen cycle hasn't started yet!
pH: I discovered that water comes out of my tap at around 7.8. When it sits for a while (either inside the tank or outside the tank) it reaches 8.2. I've seen multiple sources say this is too high for axolotls. I know leaves/peat moss/driftwood is an option but I don't want to turn my water brown if I don't have to, and not sure where to source the leaves/peat. The other option I found was something like pH down or vinegar/another acid. My question with that is, if I add pH down, how long do those effects last? Would the pH eventually creep up again? Could I treat all the water in my tank currently with it and then keep treating the water I add during water changes to keep the pH lower than 8.2?

Nitrogen cycle: I dechlorinated the water when I set up the tank. 24 hours later I added Dr. Tim's ammonia to make it 4 ppm. And....that's where the tank is today. No ammonia drop, no nitrites or nitrates. Do I just need to give it more time? My tank (20 gallon long) has a big sponge filter, 2 silk plants, and PVC pipe and terra cotta pot for bacteria to grow on. Should I do a water change to reduce the ammonia to more like 2 ppm?

If I have to bring my axolotl home before the nitrogen cycle has fully finished what do I do? Put it in the tank with daily water changes? Keep her outside the tank? Someone suggested fritz turbo bacteria, so I might speed order a bottle of that and put that in the tank as soon as it gets here, ideally Thursday or Friday (probably after a water change to reduce the ammonia to around 2 ppm.)

Thanks!!

First, I want to commend you for doing the right thing by setting up the tank and allowing it to cycle before adding your new friend! As for the pH and nitrogen issues, I’ve had great results with API products, and they’re not expensive. I’d suggest getting some API pH Down for the pH issue and API Quick Start for the nitrogen/ammonia issue. The Quick Start stuff is great! For the pH Down stuff, you would treat the whole tank now, then I believe you’d only add more when you do your water changes. If possible, treat the water before adding it to the tank. There shouldn’t be anything in your tank creating ammonia, so I don’t think a water change right now will do much good, especially since it could mess with any good bacteria that’s growing. The Quick Start will help with this for sure! Try adding those and test the parameters again after a day or so. I wouldn’t worry about what to do with your Axolotl just yet; focus your energy on the tank you have. I think you’ll have the parameters right before you get him/her!

Once you get the parameters right, you can consider plants like Java Fern, which have nice broad leaves and are pretty hardy (though you will need a light for it). As for driftwood, if you boil it first, that will greatly reduce the chance of it turning your water brown. You can glue Java Moss on the driftwood to help with the nitrates too!

Hope that helps!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back