Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank won’t cycle past nitrite..?

bitea

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I have been trying to cycle my tank for weeks now, and even though the cycle does end up forming nitate as it should at the end, there still remains a very high concentration of nitrite..it almost seems like there is too much of it, so it cannot fully do its thing

How could i reduce it? I keep on adding ammonia whenever its around below 1ppm, and as it does dissapear, the nitrite does not. Its been around 3 weeks like this. Been also adding the beneficial bacteria to help it but no luck on a full cycle..

Any tips on cycling in general? It is a whole science that i am trying my best to understand for the first time in my life 😅

Thanks so much!! The community here is amazing :)

All the best,
A.

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I have been trying to cycle my tank for weeks now, and even though the cycle does end up forming nitate as it should at the end, there still remains a very high concentration of nitrite..it almost seems like there is too much of it, so it cannot fully do its thing

How could i reduce it? I keep on adding ammonia whenever its around below 1ppm, and as it does dissapear, the nitrite does not. Its been around 3 weeks like this. Been also adding the beneficial bacteria to help it but no luck on a full cycle..

Any tips on cycling in general? It is a whole science that i am trying my best to understand for the first time in my life 😅

Thanks so much!! The community here is amazing :)

All the best,
A.
I’ve been having the same problem! I purchased a pre seeded spongye filter, and am waiting for it to arrive. I’ll share results after it runs for 24 hours once it arrives and see if that helped! I would also try maybe 25% water changes every other day and see if that brings it down a little.

Frizbee

Reaction score
Agreed, please post your water parameters for a better answer. Also, why are you adding ammonia?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!