Tank won’t cycle

MrEnder1103

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! I adopted a two-year-old axolotl who has been living in a tub over the last four months while I have been trying to cycle his tank, and I’m getting frustrated that it’s taking so long.

The tank I’m trying to cycle is a twenty gallon with sand, lots of live plants, drift wood, and a standard fluval filter. Things I’ve tried:
  • Using Fritz
  • Adding water from a cycled fish aquarium
  • Adding plants and substrate. I did deal with a detritus worm issue shortly after adding the sand, but got that under control.
  • Adding a heater a month ago - Before adding the heater the temperature was around 60.
For the last several days the ammonia has stayed completely the same at around three, the nitrite has been zero for two weeks (before it was .75), and the nitrate is at 90. I have done a couple water changes to bring this down. There is also a small algae bloom. Any suggestions to get the cycle moving?

what is your ph?

Hi! I adopted a two-year-old axolotl who has been living in a tub over the last four months while I have been trying to cycle his tank, and I’m getting frustrated that it’s taking so long.

The tank I’m trying to cycle is a twenty gallon with sand, lots of live plants, drift wood, and a standard fluval filter. Things I’ve tried:
  • Using Fritz
  • Adding water from a cycled fish aquarium
  • Adding plants and substrate. I did deal with a detritus worm issue shortly after adding the sand, but got that under control.
  • Adding a heater a month ago - Before adding the heater the temperature was around 60.
For the last several days the ammonia has stayed completely the same at around three, the nitrite has been zero for two weeks (before it was .75), and the nitrate is at 90. I have done a couple water changes to bring this down. There is also a small algae bloom. Any suggestions to get the cycle moving?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back