Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Taricha granulosa breeding! FINALLY!

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Started laying eggs on January 14th 2015. This group was kept primarily aquatic and cooled at about 40 degrees for 2 months. Once ambient temps transitioned from 40 degrees to about 60 degrees months after the first sighting of amplexus, the female began folding eggs into small leaf plants.The female totally ignored egg laying plastic strips and java moss. Her choice of plant was elodea though she did attempt to lay on plastic and silk plants.

Currently theres well over 100 larvae and going strong. No deaths and just about 100 percent hatch rate of all eggs laid. The female was observed eating some of her own eggs but mostly she left the eggs alone. Enjoy the pics.

Credit also goes to JessKB and Gregarious. Some of these newts were passed around between us in the past year.

Attachments

• IMG_2183.jpg
    IMG_2183.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 674
  • IMG_2198.jpg
    IMG_2198.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_0567.jpg
    IMG_0567.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 446
  • IMG_0536.jpg
    IMG_0536.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 543
  • IMG_2248.jpg
    IMG_2248.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 462
C

Cliygh and Mia

:DAwesome! I have a thing for north American newts, so this is great!

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Congrats on the eggs! :) Do you have any pics of your male? I always think they look fantastic in the breeding season.

Stupot1610

Reaction score
You've clearly done a great job with these, which is always good to see. It's a shame these aren't more common in the European hobby. Good luck with all the larvae! Would you mind explaining how you raise them?

supergrappler

Reaction score
Way to go James! Can't wait to see how your larvae progress.Keep us updated brotha! :D

tyzoone

Reaction score
VERY COOL! What are the backgrounds on your T grans? Were they WC or CB? How old are they? I have a pair as well and our ladies look identical in every way :) Hoping to get some myself soon….

Please keep sharing your progress!!!!

sde

Reaction score
YESSS!!!! I am actually super excited about this. I tried to breed them before, and failed, seems like that is the story with a lot of people who try and breed this species. Awesome to see you had success!
What was the male to female ratio? Also, what was the photoperiod change and how rapid?
Congrats man!

otolith

Reaction score
Awesome man, they all look great! I think Taricha larva are my favorite to raise, I'm a little jealous! Can't wait to see more pictures as they develop.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
YESSS!!!! I am actually super excited about this. I tried to breed them before, and failed, seems like that is the story with a lot of people who try and breed this species. Awesome to see you had success!

The thing ignored or not provided by most keepers is an extensive cooling period and possibly correct setup. In the wild courtship can occur for weeks or months before females begin laying eggs. During the cooling period water level was low as 5-7 inches. After the cooling, water level should be increased to simulated ponds filling up. Also ample room maybe nessecary.

sde

Reaction score
The thing ignored or not provided by most keepers is an extensive cooling period and possibly correct setup. In the wild courtship can occur for weeks or months before females begin laying eggs. During the cooling period water level was low as 5-7 inches. After the cooling, water level should be increased to simulated ponds filling up. Also ample room maybe nessecary.

In the wild, cold periods come and go, it will be below freezing for a week or more, then warm up a bit to around freezing or in the low 40's, and then get colder again. Or at least that has been the story the last few years. Last few years this starts in late November or early December, and lasts until late January or as long as early March. Depends on the year.
This year the migration started really early, in late January, but it isn't usually that early.
Water depth in the winter is lower than in the spring, as you say.
Another thing that I feel may be ignored is the fact that they are terrestrial for most of the year, so why people don't give them a terrestrial period from summer through winter doesn't make sense. I feel this may help a significant amount in breeding attempts.
If I ever get ahold of this species again ( I hope this spring! ), I will put them in a unheated outdoor shed. I will have them in a terrestrial setup for most the year, and transition them into a aquatic setup at the same time the wild population begins migrating. Breeding this species is my Newt Holy Grail.

C

Cliygh and Mia

Please, Please, PLEASE TAKE PICTURES!!! :D It's so exciting when people breed their animals!!!:D

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
In the wild, cold periods come and go, it will be below freezing for a week or more, then warm up a bit to around freezing or in the low 40's, and then get colder again. Or at least that has been the story the last few years. Last few years this starts in late November or early December, and lasts until late January or as long as early March. Depends on the year.

As long as the newts experience long periods of colder temps, you can consider that a cooling period. During cold temps some hibernate some don't. Some go terrestrial some don't. Even if it goes from 35 degrees to 45 degrees. A change in temps won't matter much unless it's significantly warmer.

Also going terrestrial, breeding and hibernating depends on locale. Taricha has a pretty big range that overlaps different terrain and habitats, some populations are mostly terrestrial and others fully aquatic. Northern populations react different to southern populations. Populations in high elevation go their own course also.

velasco13000

Reaction score
It's a really good thing that you guys are breeding this amazing species. It had been a while since I saw that any breeding of this species. The larvae appear hard to raise? I do have a group of t. Torosa but I had not giving it a go into breeding them. Probably way different since these guys are mostly terrestrial. You ever breed torosas?

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
It's a really good thing that you guys are breeding this amazing species. It had been a while since I saw that any breeding of this species. The larvae appear hard to raise? I do have a group of t. Torosa but I had not giving it a go into breeding them. Probably way different since these guys are mostly terrestrial. You ever breed torosas?

I wouldn't think they're too different in means of stimulation in order to breed. Maybe even the same methods will work, very possible the same methods will work. I just can't say because I never bred T. torosa.

otolith

Reaction score

Taricha larvae are pretty easy in my experience. They are tolerant of changes in temperature and water chemistry (as long as ammonia and nitrate don't spike). They also hatch at a larger size than most and can eat a variety of foods weeks from hatching.

velasco13000

Reaction score
I can try and see if I can breed them now but it's probably too late maybe. I love these torosas but granulosas were my favorite because they are more aquatic. How big of a tank do you have them in? Are they still laying?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1