Taricha granulosa eating (?) earthworm

fabian

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Display Name
Fabian
Although he is a very big male he normally prefers smaller food, but he tried this worm. The pictures made me laugh!
Greetings Fabian

Attachments

• taricha_M_Wurm1_c.JPG
    taricha_M_Wurm1_c.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 3,320
  • taricha_M_Wurm2_c.JPG
    taricha_M_Wurm2_c.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 1,019
  • taricha_M_Wurm3_c.JPG
    taricha_M_Wurm3_c.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,130
Haha

I love watching salamanders eat big worms! They look so comical. Did he ever eat the whole worm?

Nice picture looks like he is enjoying it.

I just love the expression on the salamanders face. You caught some very nice moments in your photographs. Its amazaing how much they can fit in their mouths sometimes.

Brilliant! I love tarichas. Very cool photos.

the expression in the last picture is CLASSIC :)

In the first picture he looks like he's blowing one of those "Happy New Year" things that extend and honk!

I was wondering, if the worm is too big, are they able to bite it off, or do they just spit it back up?

Last edited:
Most newts will spit it off, but I've seen other newts (e.g. Cynops pyyrrhogaster) eating worms almost as long as itself. My Tarichas often manage to bite it of, I think the worm is sometimes "helping" them by wiggeling very strong.

That's a pretty amazing photo Fabian! Nice toe tips as well.

LOVE IT!!! Great shots =) My fave is the last one.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back