Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Taz the axolotl and his noob owner

jesterbell

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I unboxed my first axolotl today and I couldn't be more excited! I've done loads of research to get to this point and now that it's here I feel as if I still have some unanswered questions.

Mostly, I am worried that I am going to mess up the water parameters and he (or she) will get sick because of it. Everything seems to be in order right now (I've checked it three times in the last day) but now that I am about to let him out of the baggy and into the tank, I am second guessing myself.

My real worry is ammonia levels. If the ammonia in the water reaches a toxic point, how do I treat it? How can I prevent it in the first place? I've treated the water with API stress coat and it seems to be keeping the levels pretty good so far.

QlcXO5K.jpg

(he's there in the bottom right corner, aw)

My tank is set up with a couple anubias plants, sand substrate, a floating moss ball, a large rock, some pvc pipe, wood, and a low-powered filter. The top is covered by a wire mesh and three small fans to help keep the water cool - it runs at about 60-63 right now.

I think that's it for now! I'd love to hear any tips or tricks!! Thanks :D

Swag

Reaction score
Really good job on the tank! Love the fans in the hood. Axolotl waste = ammonia, little guy there won't be able to stink up the tank immediately. If you cycled your tank prior to putting him in then you have nothing to worry about. If you didn't, then just test the tank twice a day, when it gets high do a 50% water change. Dechlorinate the water with Seachem Prime prior to putting it in the tank.

jesterbell

Reaction score
Oh, thank you! I was hoping it was adequate for him!! The fans definitely help, the water was running in the mid 70s when I first started cycling the tank, so for it to be where it's at now is really satisfying! (it has been chilly and raining for almost a week now so that might have something to do with it too haha, we'll see!)

Fimbriae

Reaction score
Hey, nice job on the tank setup. Are those PC fans run off a 12V adapter? API does make good products, but I would spring for Prime in the place of Stresscoat. Are you finding your water's surface gets a biofilm with this setup? -or does your submersible filter provide enough agitation if the output is at the surface? You'll probably have to watch your tank parameters like a hawk for a month or so, until everything is 0ppm except for NitrATEs. Which you can buffer to around 20ppm through weekly water changes.
G'luck + Welcome to the site!

jesterbell

Reaction score
the fans connect to each other via usb ports, and the one on the end connects to power with a 12v. i haven't noticed any surface film so far, the fans plus the filter create just enough agitation, i think!

i've noticed that one of my plants is starting to brown on the edges, and i'm not sure why? the other plant seems to be doing fine. they are both anubias plants, one broad leaf and one thin leaf. the broad one is the one that's having the issues. any ideas? what other types of plants work for axies? i'm thinking i'll get some elodea and java moss when i can.

Fimbriae

Reaction score
Could be many reasons, but I found this -
Broadleaf anubias does require a little attention to detail when positioning it in the tank. Unlike some plants, you should not plant it deeply; the main crown of the plant will rot if it's buried. Just gently tuck the roots into the substrate; the plant will do the rest.
I have some Elodea and Java Moss as well, others that I'm having luck with are Weeping Moss, Cryptocoryne, Micro sword grass (lilaeopsis), Narrow leaf Java Fern and Corksrew Vallisneria. I do use some LED lighting in my tank though, but all these plants are low tech and do just fine in an axie's preferred temp range.

jesterbell

Reaction score
Could be many reasons, but I found this -
I have some Elodea and Java Moss as well, others that I'm having luck with are Weeping Moss, Cryptocoryne, Micro sword grass (lilaeopsis), Narrow leaf Java Fern and Corksrew Vallisneria. I do use some LED lighting in my tank though, but all these plants are low tech and do just fine in an axie's preferred temp range.

oh thank you, that is a lot of help!! i will uproot it a tad and see how that goes, thanks!!

i'm not sure when i will make my way to a place that sells aquatic plants, but when i get around to it i will definitely check those out!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1