Temp guns

TJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tim Johnson
Does anybody have any experience with these? I always thought they were nifty gadgets but not worth the hundreds of dollars they cost. But I see they're now available for as cheap as $25. Still, I wonder how accurate they are for aquarium use...

http://www.proexotics.com/supplies.html

Hi Tim,
They are pretty accurate but with aquariums they read the temperature at the surface of the water. A common mistake when using these is that people take the temp of the glass and do not get an accurate reading on the cage temps. I think they are a little overkill for aquatic systems. I usually use the one at work to check temperature of incubating eggs and basking sites in exhibits but I usually don't use them for the aquatic exhibits. Where you may be interested in using it would be in taking readings when you are out looking at eggs and breeding groups.....
Just some thoughts,
Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back